A Good Day

"Today will be a good day."

That was exactly what Steve said as soon as he woke up. And he could not be any more wrong. It was the worst day he will ever have, even worse than the day when he peed his pants in elementary school or accidentally called his teacher 'mom'.

He had slipped on fallen toothpaste, falling straight down on his delicate buttocks in the bathroom. The cup of water which was in his hands spilled all over him in the process.

Steve thought nothing of it, it was just a bad start. He quickly cleaned up and changed into his work uniform.

His job paid decently but it was tough. He has to fill his status quo every week, but work has been tough. He barely got by the past few weeks, hitting the mark. Today was the last day to fulfill his quota. Combined with his underwhelming performance and past mistakes, his boss will eagerly fire him.

He looked in the mirror, making sure he looked presentable. His brown hair was neatly combed. His white-collared shirt with a blue tie has no creases. The navy dress pants and black dress shoes finished off his sharp look. With his briefcase in hand, he got out of the hallway and made sure he heard the click of the door locking before making his way to the elevator.

He greeted his fellow tenants as he rode down the elevator. He reached outside, looking up to see a bright, sunny day–which has to mean a positive day. Steve smiled to himself as he crossed the street and stopped at the bus sign. There were other people there, also waiting for the bus.

Steve's job was in Mincrita City, the most populous city in the region. He doesn't own a car so he has to take a bus to get to the metro station that would take him from Teria–which lies just outside of the city—to Mincrita City. From there, he will have to take another bus or walk his way to his department.

He sighed, wanting to get a car but he wasn't financially stable. The majority of his income gets spent on food and rent, leaving what little leftovers he has. Speaking of money, he has to give money to his landlord today.

If he could find more clients today he would be able to treat himself later on. Steve grinned at the thought of a hard-earned treat after a day's work. Perhaps he'll get some fancy dinner at a restaurant.

The bus came to a stop, hissing as the door opened. Steve stepped on, putting his money in the collector before sitting down. He looked out the window as the bus continued with its route, passing by numerous buildings.

He began reminiscing, thinking about his life. It was difficult being alone. He had friends but work and time drifted everyone apart and lost contact with them. As for his family... he would rather not talk about them. Steve hasn't spoken to them in years as they practically kicked him out and forced him to turn to a friend for help once he turned eighteen.

His thoughts drifted until the topic of a relationship came up. Steve let out a longing sigh, wishing that he had a cute girlfriend. He had no experience in dating or any intimate matters.

I'm only twenty, there's still hope for me. Steve told himself. He was sure there were many others like him, not everyone is that lucky to have a partner that early.

Before he knew it, he was at his destination. Steve hurried off the bus and descended the stairs towards the turnstile, flashing his card on the scanner. He glanced at the time for the next subway arrival and saw that he had some time to kill before it arrived.

He sat down on the nearest empty bench, placing his briefcase on the ground next to him. He watched children running in the area with their parents hurriedly trying to calm them. A man with a gray hoodie sat down on the same bench as him, thankfully on the other end.

Steve pulled out his phone to pass some time. He scrolled down, glancing past recent news and articles. The station rumbled, indicating that the subway was coming. Steve reached over to grab his briefcase but felt nothing but air. Alarmed, he looked over to see the hooded man running with his briefcase.

"Hey!" Steve yelled out, jumping up and running after the thief. "Give that back!"

People saw the thief coming their way and quickly moved out of the way. A few tried to stop the man but the thief weaved through the crowd. A security guard noticed and attempted to block the thief's path but the hooded man took another route, shoving those in the way aside. He jumped over the turnstile and climbed the stairs.

Steve quickly swiped his card and followed the path. He got back on the streets above ground, panting as he looked around.

The thief had disappeared.

Steve stood there, shocked. That did not just happen.

All the business cards, portfolios, spreadsheets, and numerous things he needed. There was also the money that he needed. "No... no way..." He muttered.

Steve was about to call his boss when stopped himself. There was no way his boss would be willing to listen after he told him that his briefcase had been stolen. In fact, he would most likely get fired over the phone. Calling in sick wouldn't help either and it was too late to do so.

"So much for a good day..."

Steve decided to head back to his apartment. On the bus home, he shut off his phone so he wouldn't be able to receive calls.

Once he made it inside the apartment room, he kicked off his shoes and let himself fall on his bed. He shut his eyes, hoping that he would wake up and his day started over. If he was given another chance, he wouldn't mess it up ever again.

~zzz~

Steve got woken up by a series of hard knocks on his door. Judging by the sky coming through his window blinds, he slept until the afternoon.

"Coming," Steve called out as he made his way to the door.

It was his landlord, scowling deeply. He stretched out his arm and opened up his palm.

Oh right... The payments. Steve looked around, trying to spot his briefcase. He should have enough to pay the landlord. He froze, remembering what happened this morning.

"Ah... I don't have enough money right now, but I'll be able to—"

"No," the landlord shook his head. "I've done you too many favors and you have yet to return them."

"Wait, I can pay them off! I just need time." Steve pleaded.

The landlord stood his ground. "I want you out of here by tomorrow morning." With that, he walked off, leaving a bewildered Steve behind.

Steve closed his door letting out a sigh. He pulled out his phone, turning it on to see the missed calls from his boss. He tapped on the latest one, seeing the voice message.

"Steve, if there's no emergency, you are fired from this company. Don't expect to receive your paycheck as you didn't complete the quota."

Steve felt the urge to throw down his phone but he couldn't afford it.

There's no point in explaining what happened. He would still get blamed and fired in the end.

Not only did he lose his job, but he was also getting evicted.

"I guess I have to pack up..." Steve said, sighing.

When he finished stuffing all his things in his suitcase and backpack, it was already night.

By morning, he planned to get out before the landlord could even yell at him.