Chapter 21

For King and Country

Kensington Palace, London

Sir Henry Granville. Oil Painting. A portrait of Their Royal Highnesses The Duke and Duchess of Kent and Strathearn. 1813

"We look so good," Charlotte looked at the painting with adoration. "Do you not think so, my love?"

"My head is smaller than my body," the Duke of Kent and Strathearn immediately commented and looked down at Luna. "What do you think, sweetie?"

She barked.

"Luna is right. We look splendid, indeed," his wife took a hold of his hand, squeezing it in reassurance. "And you look as handsome as ever."

"Do I, really?" Her husband sighed. "I have no clue on for how long will this portrait will exist. But– I just... I wanted it to be perfect!"

"But it is!" The Duchess of Kent and Strathearn smiled widely. "It is perfect to me. And even if it does have imperfections, like any great work of art...that is what makes it a masterpiece."

"You're almost right," a small smirk graced his face. "I wonder where you learned that from."

"I learned it from a very, very wonderful man," she brought both of his hands up to her lips and kissed his knuckles. "The love of my life."

"I'm flattered," he giggled softly and looked back at the painting. "Though, I must say, we look more important than we really are."

"Perhaps too much for my brother's liking. Ours is better than any of his and Caroline's portraits. Once told me that he wanted to burn them all," she confessed her opinion, and her husband nodded. And the two scoffed with disbelief at the fact that George truly despised his wife. "But I am quite sure the Queen will be excited and pleased with ours."

"I look forward to your mother's approval," he said sincerely. "Truth be told, we have not spend as much time together as I would have hoped."

"I'm sure she will open up to you in time, my love," she smiled and looked at the artist. "Thank you for such lovely painting. I know Her Majesty will love it."

"As we do," Benedict nodded with the smallest of smiles, still a bit frustrated of his small head.

"Your Royal Highness," both the Duke and Duchess turned around and saw Fatima by the door. "The Prime Minister and Sir Ward have arrived, Ma'am."

"You called for them?" He asked his wife with confusion.

"We have an audience with the lords and I want to be ready beforehand," she explained and got on her tip toes to kiss his cheek. "I will be in my office if you need me, my love."