Chapter 24

The Princess Regent

Maidstone, Kent

After a great time with the people, all parties involved were coming back from Canterbury. Charlotte and Lord Kinsley shared a coach while the others were in other coaches. As much as she wanted to, the Duchess of Kent couldn't hide the small smile on her face. After listening to them, talking to them, seeing them, she felt so connected to the people in a way she thought she wouldn't. They were all on her side, praising her as if she was a divine being. Charlotte didn't know how to exactly feel about that, but she did know she was utterly grateful.

"I must say," the man spoke. "I am impressed, yet not surprised. The afternoon in Canterbury went on smoothly, better than I thought it would."

"I am quite glad everything went great," the Duchess smiled. "I loved meeting the people, and the Archbishop too. They were all so kind."

"Finally, you have done the job no king or queen in the monarchy has done," he sighed. "And that is having a connection with the people."

"Men have underestimated me before, my lord. After all, I am a woman. It is...unfair, but understandable, given the society we are in," she said with confidence. "But when it comes to the people, I know how to connect with them."

"Women have it easy that way, I suppose. That 'motherly instinct' they have works on everyone," he shrugged. "It weakens. It can make anyone so sensible."

"Oh, I'm afraid I must disagree, my lord," she stated calmly. "Sensitivity has many benefits."

"Such as?" He scoffed. "Other than—"

"Not weakness," she cut him off before he could even pronounce e the words. "A sensible man is not the one who answers the brick with a stone, a sensible man is one who makes weapons from a fired brick."

"So what you're saying, Ma'am..." The man suppressed the urge to roll his eyes. "Is that sensitivity make stronger men?"

"That is my belief, my lord," Charlotte nodded, and lightly sighed.

"Men like your brother?" Lord Kinsley questioned, and lightly scoffed. "Given the state of his marriage, I do not know His Royal Highness to be sensible."

"Careful with your words, my lord," she stated, slightly glaring at the man. "The state of the Prince Regent and the Princess of Wales' marriage does not concern you."

"It does concern me. It concerns anyone who is a true patriot," he argued. "In public, everything is fine. Yet, behind closed doors..."

"As it should be, shouldn't it?" The Duchess argued back. "It is the same for all of us."

"A public image you must maintain, I understand," Lord Kinsley nodded. "But how can you maintain a public image in a certain way if you are never in public?"

"My brother has been around in public before," she disagreed.

"Around the rich, he has," he nodded angrily. "But the poor? Don't the poor matter? Do they not have a word on this?"

"Of course they matter. Their word matters," she nodded. "This world is just cruel enough to make them believe it doesn't."

"That's right," he nodded. "But where is the Prince Regent to prove them otherwise? Our future King?"

"The Prince Regent cannot be everywhere, Lord Kinsley. He does not have as much time to people's disposals as you think," the Duchess tried to explain.