Chapter 5

An Ordinary Woman

Holyrood Palace, Edinburgh

The Duke and Duchess of Kent and Strathearn arrived at Holyrood Palace in Edinburgh, Scotland, before sundown, as scheduled. Due to the long trip, the Duchess asked in advance to not have any lords waiting by the entrance, so only the staff were outside to greet them.

However, the next morning, an exhausted Duke was startled by the Scottish bagpipes playing right outside his window. Benedict flinched and immediately sat up on the bed as he took deep breaths to calm his racing heart.

"Love?" He snapped his head towards his wife, who was calmly staring at him, with a small smile. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah– just startled. By tha– that instrument..." He pointed towards the window. "What an odd sound. How are you not bothered by it?"

"Bothered? Don't be like that, Benny. The bagpipes are traditional and meaningful to the Scottish, dear," she chuckled. "You just have to get used to it. In fact, I find it rather rousing. Those are like...chickens."

"Chickens?" He snorted. "Why would you use 'chickens' as a proper example for the bagpipes being traditional and meaningful?"

"Because just like the chickens, they are heard at any time of day, my love. That's what I was trying to say," she laughed too. "I don't make sense when I'm sleepy. Come on, let's sleep for a while longer."

"As much as I'd like to take you up on that offer, I'm awake now. I cannot go back to sleep," he sighed as he rubbed his eyes other the back of his hand.

"Is that so?" She tried to hold back a smirk as she traced the tip of her fingers up and down his right arm.

A soft chuckle escaped her lips when she remembered the argument they had before they arrived to the place. In which side of the bed either one of them would sleep on. And all she said was that he should sleep on the side he felt most comfortable on. Benedict ended up sleeping in the left side, and Charlotte on the right side.

"I'm surprised Fatima has not barged in already to wake us up and get you ready for the rest of the day," he added. "Especially Lilia and Cora. Those two sisters are evil, and they seem to drink a very strong coffee every day."

"I wish I had their energy," she chuckled, and lightly shook her head. "But no. They are just doing as they're told. Which is not bother us during our honeymoon, unless there is an urgency."

"And that applies to..." He raised an eyebrow as he spoke.

"Everyone, really," Charlotte nodded. "What would you like to do today?"

"I'd like to explore the palace's grounds," he smiled. "And to spend all day with you."

"That would be lovely," she smiled widely. "Would you also like to go for a ride this afternoon?"

"For a ride?" He asked, and she nodded. "You are just desperate to ride Snow."

"Besides that, since it is your first time around, I thought we could go explore outside the palace's grounds too," she explained, and he chuckled. "Take in the nature, the fresh air, and just..."

"Enjoy the peace and quiet?" He smirked, and she giggled with a nod. "Alright. That sounds nice."

"But first, I'll sleep," Charlotte sighed contently and closed her eyes.