To feel whole again

Hey besties, this is sadly a very short one and I'm not very happy with it... but here we go. Hope you like it

A xx

*

There was rain in the air, you could smell it clearly. The sweet smell reminded you of the night of the fateful stormy night with the other woman. And as the first raindrops were sliding down the window of the passenger seat you felt calm. The strange dance of the raindrops brought you a sense of comfort. That day felt different.

Your eyes moved to the woman next to you. She had that look again. Oh god, that special look when she's focused on something. Her lips started to twitch in a familiar way as she wrinkled her nose. What could she be thinking about, you thought to yourself. That day she wore her habitual expression; she smelt of home. You wondered whether this was the love poets wrote about; to feel at home with somebody. She was the warm shelter from the cold that was crawling upon you. She touched your foolish heart, you were hopelessly devoted to her.

You didn't grasp that the shadows that sometimes crossed her face weren't momentary clouds passing in front of the sun. Her deep silences were more than daydreams. Her eyes resembled dawn.

"Are you okay?" You asked, your voice barely a whisper.

Her expression changed as fast as the British weather, the sun was back. "Of course, my sweet. I just got lost in my thoughts. Are you okay?"

You did not believe her for a second. She might be a spectacular actress, however, your gut feeling was telling you that something was off.

"We will be there very soon."

You felt the touch of the other woman's hand on your own. You sheepishly glanced up at her through your lashes. She was still focused on the road. Although your inner voice was telling you otherwise, you decided to not pry anymore. What shall happen will happen in the end.

*

A longing to wander tore your heart when you hear trees rustling in the wind. You were surrounded by them, it felt beyond magical. The smell of damp wood and evergreen overwhelmed your senses as Cate drove you down the muddy road. Your right hand was intertwined with her free left one, her fingers running over one of your rings. The wind blew into the car through the rolled-down window, hitting your skin softly, making you shiver.

"We are here." She squeezed your hand as she slowed the car in front of a beautiful wooden cabin that was raised off the ground. She pulled in underneath the building, to the side of a hammock that hung from the ceiling. You looked over to find a calm smile on her face, her cool eyes sparkling from the sun that seemed to be everywhere. "Finally, just us." She exhaled through her mouth.

When Cate opened the door into the cabin, your eyes went wide. From the outside, the place had looked incredible, but now that the interior was in full view, you were even more astounded. The door led to an open-plan living room and kitchen, separated only by a small kitchen peninsula. The floor, walls, and ceilings were made of an earthy-shade wood, with windows letting in a surplus of natural light.

"This... this is beautiful.. wow."

"Do you like it?" She smirked.

"Are you kidding me? It's breath-taking!" You exclaimed.

She gave you a kiss on your temple. "It's just the two of us."

"Thank you, Cate." You whispered into her neck.

*

You were sipping tea with your legs draped across hers and you did not wish to move again. She was only sat across from you doing nothing of interest apart from breathing and yet she still managed to take your breath away. You sat there silently most of the time nodding and smiling away at her talking but the truth was, you were astonished at her existence. You got lost in admiration at how the light brought out the golden tones in her blonde hair and how her tired eyes gleamed when she saw you smiling. You have such a beautiful mind, did you know that... you thought. You had never seen her like this, exhausted with sleep creeping upon her eyes. As if she let her mask slip in front of you, at least that's what you told yourself.

"Come, place your head on my chest to feel whole again." She whispered.

You placed your half-empty mug on the coffee table as you started to approach her. You pressed your face to her chest in the too-soft place where the skin was still intact and understood the way the surface of the world is thinner in certain places.

You stayed like that, almost in silence, only hearing raindrops softly drumming against the windows. She placed a soft kiss against the top of your head, taking a deep breath.

"Please, let's stay like this forever."

"I would not dare to move, believe me."