Special someone

Time passed and you were walking down your usual way. Mud boots in the snow in the pale grey-pink of moonlight. It was snowing, ever so lightly, and it was quiet. So quiet you forgot to breathe for a moment. A dog barked. Sirens were howling. You exhaled, no longer afraid to break a silence already broken. Listening to your favourite song, thinking about her. The last time you saw her was about a week ago. She had to go to a meeting in America. Of course, you two would message each other, you were talking daily, however, how could someone compare messages to being with someone face to face? You felt awful for missing her so much and you were not completely sure why. You had no idea what was is the two of you shared. Was it love? You did not want to assume anything. But it was pure, the purest of feelings. Stealing kisses every now and then but nothing more., not rushing anything. The air was sharp in the late winter day, whipping the face, clasping the hands, cracking the lips of anyone daring to venture outside and face it. You sat down on the top of your familiar bench and rested your legs on the part of the bench where normal people sit, took out your notebook and started sketching. A short ring notified you that you received a message.

It was from her.

Cate: „Hello darling, how are you doing?"

You were never too sure what to answer to that question. Should you be truthful? Should you lie and pretend that you are okay? The better option was to take the middle choice, what was to give some truth but also mask it with up a little.

You: „Been better, but I went on a walk and I am currently sitting on a bench sketching my feelings away... what about you?"

You put your phone away diving right back to your art piece. To your surprise, she did not reply to your last message what was very odd for her, but for your own sanity, you decided to ignore it. You did not want to overthink every little detail. It was getting darker, but you did not feel like going back there just yet. You were home alone as your family decided to visit a family relative of some sort. The streetlights started turning on one by one and there was not a single soul outside. Your breath was freezing mid-air, the ends of your hair were getting frozen as well. The snowflakes were kissing your nose, which was now a darker shade of pink. You heard some young adults laughing on your right, an elderly lady walking her small white dog that you almost could not tell apart from the snow.

"Would you mind if I joined you?"

A familiar voice got you back to reality and with wide eyes, you turned around.

"How come you're here? I thought that you are gonna be back later this week?"

Cate opened her eyes slowly, looking at you like she was enjoying your reaction, her eyes were hovering over you in a peaceful way.

"Well that is correct, however, I could no longer bear the company I had there and also I did miss a special someone very much." She gave you her signature grin.

"Oh really? A special somebody? That person has to be very lucky that you came out of your way and came back sooner." You smiled back as she was getting closer to you. She positioned herself between your legs and looked down on you.

"Very special indeed. Did I mention that she is charming as well? Oh, and breathtakingly beautiful." She gave you a wink. Her hands were resting on your tights.

"I missed you." You finally spoke up.

Her right hand reached for your cheek and brushed it with her thumb.

"And so did I miss you, very much actually."

You decided to take initiative and you slowly moved closer to her and kissed her. The kiss was very soft and it gave you the well know butterflies. You could tell that she was smiling into the kiss.

"You must be freezing! Would you say to a cup of tea at mine? The kids are with their father visiting their grandmother."

"Yes please."

She drove you back to her house.