{3 The Nightly Visitor}

Caius Volturi

Caius never much found himself wanting to be in the presence of humans outside of a meal. Yet the prospects of having such powerful vampires that Aro seemed so enamoured with did capture his interest. Although they brought some of the guards down he thought it would be best left to himself and Aro to do the actual scouting lest one of the less controlled guards have an 'accident' and alert the town. They still needed to hold their cover until the time was right. This was the first time either of the immortal men would actually be entering the village, instead choosing to observe from a safe distance until they knew that they could move unannounced. To avoid the suspicions and superstitions of the town the Volturi decided to use the cover of night in order to find what they need.

As he stalked the empty roads he found himself looking on in disgust, the houses were much too close together, the stench of stale mud, rotting plant matter and animal caused the immortal to scowl. He couldn't imagine that a human could tolerate such standards even with their inferior senses. Some of the homes had various holes in their rooves or crumbling walls and crooked doors, it was nothing like the luxury that he had been used to both in life and in death.

Caius was greatly interested in the twins, not only for their psychic nature, but also for the feelings that they harboured, both for the village and for the woman Aro spoke of. All those years of exclusion and torment could evolve into some powerful emotions later, something that might be of great advantage in their later life. Caius was no stranger to violent and vengeful emotions, and although others would describe them as dangerous and liable, he himself would describe them as empowering and liberating. The fine line between the two views was ones self-control. And those who could not control themselves past their newborn stage in Caius' eyes were those who were weak.

Caius hadn't had a moment to catch the all elusive woman that Aro spoke of as he saw to the task of observing her himself, leaving the twins to Caius. But now he was curious at why a mortal woman with no relation to said twins could be of such importance, she would have no hereditary powers to have passed onto them, she wasn't their mother. Yet Aro seemed so insistent that she would be of benefit to the Volturi. Determined to see her for himself, after all, he would be spending eternity with the potential coven mates, he made his way over to the apothecary.

Approaching the humble shop Caius was suddenly hit by an intoxicating scent that completely overwhelmed all his senses. Savouring the scent Caius could pick out the blend of roses, sage and chamomile, something that was both mild and calming as well as strong and stimulating. It addicted him. Caius couldn't have moved to the source of the scent faster if he tried. However, the sight that sat before him brought out a rage that he had never felt before. His veins were burning with the need to murder the man sleeping before him, for touching his mate was unacceptable.

As if sensing his anger from across the village Aro swiftly appeared next to the blonde immortal, placing a hand on his shoulder to stop his actions.

"Caius you must wait" Aro spoke gently, not needing to use his gift to see the plans forming behind Caius' crimson eyes. "Now is simply not the time"

"Why should I wait for what is rightfully mine, besides you have never shown care for a human's life before" The anger was still bubbling beneath his skin not fully sated despite Aro's best efforts to reason with him.

"You cannot just spring the idea of immortally on her without any previous knowledge of such, she will reawaken with much anger brother, no matter her feeling of the mating bond she will push it away for lack of understanding and attack you where you stand" Aro reasoned, not wanting Caius actions to cause the plan to fail. "And we don't know what feelings she has for the man, killing him could sever her ties to you completely"

"Why are you so desperate for a seer when you have so much insight yourself, brother?" Caius spat out at the younger vampire, venom almost burning on his tongue. He wanted so desperately to ignore the words of the black-haired vampire, to just kill the human male and be done with it now, but he knew that deep down that he was right. Although his pride refused to submit to the idea of being anything less than better than any other suitor in his mates life, he to could acknowledge that waking up to a dead and missing husband would have not been a great start to their relationship. Newborns often could not control their instincts thus she would be dangerous, her reaction would, unfortunately, be unpredictable.

Pulling away Caius took off beyond the town's walls looking for someone or thing to take out his lingering anger on. But tomorrow he knew what he would do, putting a plan into action to seduce his mate away from her pathetic excuse of a husband and would know of his greatness. She was his mate therefore much too good for such mortal men. He had waited centuries for this moment, to find her, and now he had to contend with some second rate, worthless blood bag. But Caius doesn't give up easily and had Aro not forbid outright revealing himself to her the very next day then he would have done as such. The universe would not have mated her to himself if she could not handle it, the mating bond was far too strong to be nullified by some petty human emotions or sensibilities. Once she reawakened into her next life she would come to be far more superior in every aspect, including transcending her human understanding Caius reasoned to himself.

But for now, he will take it slow for his human mate, but once the time had come he would turn her and she would come to Volterra as is his queen.

Thank you for reading~