{26 Actions Have Consequences}

Carlisle Cullen

Carlisle felt himself tense at the sight before him, Jacob was breathing shallowly on the floor crumpled in agony, Bella was on the floor with tears streaming freshly down her face. Alec and Jane were stood just a touch being their parents and the Cullen monarch couldn't discern Alec's emotions past his stone cold exterior. Unlike his openly sadistic and currently smirking twin sister, Alec had mastered the art of a poker face and for a thirteen year old boy he held an incredibly intimidating aura. But even more so intimidating before him stood the burning eyes of Caius and Adela Volturi, the fire burning in their hands like a message from Hell itself. Adela's eyes lit up in barley contained excitement as her gaze landed upon him and it was at this moment that Carlisle understood the consequences of letting Edward continue to pursue Bella. "Oh my my my Carlisle, I am so awfully disappointed"

"Adela, let us bring this conversation to somewhere more private, I'm sure there has been a misunderstanding, we can sort this out civilly" Carlisle tried to fight off every instinct that his body had acquired over the centuries in order to appear at ease but even he wasn't stupid enough to think that his smile met his eyes. The whole Cullen clan had been alerted by a half formed vision from Alice, but due to Jacob's involvement in the situation, the seer couldn't make out much of the future aside from the sound of Bella's scream and the image of fire.

"You had your chance to discuss this in a civilised manor Carlisle and you lied to me" She began with a set of theatrics that caused deep unease in those who had found themselves at the Swan household. Her portrayed disappointment wielded a dangerous undertone of sarcasm and held just enough venom to put forward her displeasure. Unfortunately for them they had acquired a small audience to bare witness to the 'justice' that would take place today. Justice that was saved to be the perfect reminder to the Cullen clan of what would happen if they were to test the Volturi again. But even worse, Sam and his pack had followed Jacob through the pack pond into Forks as they lied in the tree line. But Carlisle knew that it would be impossible to land a sneak attack on the Volturi representatives. "The mutt albeit unintentionally, told us that you Carlisle warned their pack of mutts of our arrival, and here I was thinking you were smarter than to lie to me" she finished darkly, conveying perfectly just how she felt about the situation.

"The pack are protectors of their people Adela, they couldn't risk letting the newborns killing or turning their people" he pleaded, with more vulnerability in his voice then he would have liked. His golden eyes glancing to see Sam and the wolves move ever so closer to the Swan house, just barley hidden in the tree line.

"And why oh why my poor dear friend did you not declare this fact originally?" Adela asked voiced laced with sarcasm.

"We didn't think you would honour a truce with the shapeshifters" Carlisle spoke, voice barley being heard over his own shame as his eyes drew to the floor.

"We would not have, and we will deal with this incident shortly" spat Caius with a burning fury, eyes holding a deep and almost missable sense of remembrance, but no one could notice the monarch's trauma past their own sense of self preservation and fear. "The girl has not been changed Carlisle, your spawn has not honoured the overwhelming generosity that has been provided to him, so she must be dealt with" But no sooner had his words been spoken had Edward let out a frustrated growl at the implications made by the King.

"Most vampires would not even hesitate to turn their mates if human, and do so quickly to ensure their safety and eternity forever, some would beg for the chance to reclaim their love after they so tragically lose their other halves, yet you fight against her immortality at every turn. Are you scared you will lose your infatuation when she runs out of blood" the queen enquired sadistically.

"What would someone like you know of love, a family powered by anger and pain, I'm surprised you even found it in yourself to keep your demon 'children' once turned. All of you thrive of the suffering of others and for what power? Someone like you could never comprehend the love I feel for her and why she needs to stay human" His first turned son spat at the queen. Carlisle's heart sank to his stomach at the burning words thrown at the woman stood before them. While Carlisle could not bring it in himself to abide by the Volturi's way of life, however, even he could not deny what bond the small family had with each other. The growl let out by Caius rumbled the very earth beneath their feet as every muscle in his body tensed, like a lion about to pounce. A black mist began to ever so slowly crawl long the ground like a snake, only this mist would strike much deadlier. the bronze haired vampire crumpled to the ground crying out in agony as he writhed in the dirt beneath his feat. But everything halted with a brief wave of Adela's pale hand.

"What do I know of love? I know that I would have taken every single ounce of pain my children experienced myself and would have bared every consequence. I know of enough of love to know that I was betrayed and set aside to die along side my children after they spent their whole lives being persecuted by their own flesh and blood. I know enough of love to have killed every single child of the moon after they dared to set their hands on my mate. That is the difference between you and I boy, my mate and my children are my world, while you cannot even commit to turning who you know, deep in your subconscious to be your bloodsinger, because you simply would not have come to us to die if she were your mate. Because you would not have been able to leave her side for even a second. Pain and rage are a powerful thing, my children and I were reborn anew in them and I will not let anyone else treat them like they are demons." Adela chuckled deeply and humourlessly as her crimson red eyes locked on Bella's heaped form. "But let us test my theory, shall we?"

She moved over to Bella with a cat like grace, her pale hand wrapping in the brunette's hair as she pulled her to her feet and up against her body. Adela manoeuvred them to face Carlisle and his coven as she tilted her head down to examine the junction where Bella's neck met her shoulders. "I would say it is such a shame my dear, but we all know that I don't care" and she swiftly sunk her fangs into Bella's neck, the human girl crying out in agony at the pain. In a futile attempt to escape the queen's grasp she began to tug and pull away, only causing herself more pain as Adela's teeth ripped further into her neck. Carlisle could barley bring himself to look at the sight before him, a deep sense of regret and shame began to seep into his very bones. Maybe he should have fought harder, put his foot down and been more stern with his son. But Carlisle supposed that he only wished to make his son happy, and he believed, at least at first, that Bella made Edward happy. Even at the expense of the rest of the coven's safety.

Slowly Bella lost her fight as he already pale skin grew lighter in colour as the hands clawing at Adela's grip grew weaker and weaker. It was clear she was dead and her skin became a sickly pale grey, the once very human flush to her cheeks had been lost and she was dropped unceremoniously to the floor.

"Was that really so hard Carlisle?"

But before anyone could answer a feral growl ripped through the trees as a russet mass launched itself at Adela, but it was weak and clearly not thinking straight and before it could attack Caius had swung around and grabbed the wolf by the neck, slamming him into the ground with near lethal force, causing a painstaking whine to echo throughout the area.

"How interesting, and here I thought we could come to an agreement"

Thank you for reading~