{7 Unwelcomed Waiting}

Caius Volturi

Caius Volturi was always a man who trusted his instincts above all. He knew pain and tragedy, war and sacrifice more so than most men both mortal and immortal ever could. The tides were turning, he could feel the very atmosphere change in the winds and not in a way that was entirely pleasant.

Something harrowing was coming and Aro wasn't listening.

Caius was never patient which lead the inky haired telepath to simply brush off his brother's persistent behaviour, just barely glancing at his thoughts when shown. However, now more so than ever Caius wanted Aro to listen to him for once in his life. He was no stranger to the looks and the whispering of the pathetic pious people nor the jealous glances of the vampires forced to stake out some tiny town for humans nonetheless. For food.

Caius in the short time he had known his mate was becoming deeply attached to her. It both petrified and invigorated him. He had enemies, one would have to be a fool to think otherwise, his attitude and battle aptness left little to people's imagination and it was easy to see who he was simply by being in his presence. That was something that most people could begrudgingly admit about the blonde immortal. He was brutally honest, held no hidden secrets or agendas. He knows exactly who he is and who he has been as shaped in his past. He didn't try to hide it either. If one was to ask he would gladly tell of the lives taken by his marbled hands.

Caius was scared. Scared that someone would take his mate from him, that they would use the only weakness he had against him. He knew that those surviving the Romanian clan would gladly drain the crimson blood from her neck, or that the cowering enemies of the Volturi would gladly take her life for mere laughs. He wanted her turned, to be strong just like him. He was certain that she would take to her next life a moth to flame. She was made for it, of course, otherwise, the universe would not have mated them.

Caius well and truly believed that as destined mates, Adela would be apt and formidable as a vampire, she just needed to be turned. Caius also would have thought that upon seeing Aro's eagerness for the twins to join the coven that he would have turned them all as quickly as possible. But he would always mutter with the same calm, and almost condescending tone that 'we must wait for the right moment'.

Aro had always been the same for as long as Caius had known him. And at times when the younger vampire was driving him up the wall, he would reminisce on the century he was alone before he met him. Yes, he was rather eccentric at times and often had eyes bigger than his stomach but for what it was worth he could credit his reason. Aro gained much knowledge from the memories and thoughts of others, and not just academic information. Due to his gift, Aro was able to experience a multitude of viewpoints and experiences which influenced him in developing his own. This lead to Aro having a very well developed sense of life even if he did blunder at times. But.

Caius was tired of waiting. For every moment that his love remained mortal, she remained vulnerable. If anyone on this earth dared even to have the thought to harm his mate he would turn feral. He would slaughter anyone and everyone who got in his way and he would burn down countless kingdoms, nothing would dare stop him. She was perfect, almost handcrafted for him by Aphrodite herself, and Caius would not let her slip so easily. He would just feel more content knowing that she was able to defend herself from the less admirable of their kind. He would teach her himself of course. There was no one else more suited for the task, and he knew his queen would grow to be fearless in the face of danger for he will teach her to be just as ruthless and efficient as himself in the face of battle.

But now, the winds were changing and Caius didn't know how much longer he had left until something well and truly tragic happened.

Caius could not help the smug satisfaction that would flood his being whenever he would see John milling about, 'working' and not that he would try to either. Ever since the foolish hunter had been caught by the king he had been walking on eggshells, hoping, praying that he would keep his lips sealed lest his reputation be ruined. He would be seen as untrustworthy by the entire community and both him and his mistress would be forever shamed.

It filled Caius with a sick sense of satisfaction whenever he would spend time with his beloved and the foolish man would have to simply watch on powerlessly. All it would take are a few sly words and his life would be ruined. But even more so Caius loved spending time with his mate, she even begun to smell less like the oaf she called a husband, her earthy, floral scent becoming more apparent as she spent less time with John. Caius could note, however, the sickly sweet scent of the other woman lingering disgustingly onto every crevice of the man and it was slowly leaching into the shop. Not that the humans could tell.

He should kill him for disrespecting his mate.

But that's all in due time, Caius thought lazily to himself. He and his love would get their revenge all in due time. But for now, Caius would savour each scorching kiss and every doting embrace. He had waited for far too long and now he would indulge himself in his love until the time came, then she would take her rightful place by his side for everyone to see.

Thank you for reading~