16: Starkweather

"Thought I'd found the highest of highs

You came and topped them all

You shine in the dead of the night

                                                                And I was the first to fall"

                                                     - Better man, 5 Seconds of Summer

<------>

"Have you spoken with Lydia?" Alec asked his mother. "No one's seen her since the wedding."

Maryse didn't look up and continued to ignore her son.

"Mom, come on." Alec pleaded. "I understand you're upset, but this is..."

"Calling off the wedding would've been one thing... but running after that disgraced girl in front of the entire Institute? You've embarrassed all of us." Maryse said sternly

"Why? Because she's not a normal shadowhunter?" Alec asked.

Maryse didn't reply.

Alec huffed in frustration. "Then, What's the problem?"

"That you chose Viola. Theresa has me sworn to secrecy so I cannot say much but... Alec, there's so much that you don't know about her." Maryse looked at her son.

"Well, then I plan to get to know her. And if you have a problem with that, then I suggest you deal with it. Now, I have to go find Lydia. She's probably packing for Idris. What she did...Saved my life. So I should go thank her." Alec said and turned away from Maryse, making his way upstairs.

_______

His thoughts were still distracted as he made his way, his mother's words swimming through his head, " there's so much that you don't know about her." What was Viola hiding? Would she trust him with whatever it was if he asked..?

"On a scale of one to ten...how unpleasant was it?" A sweet voice cut through his thoughts. He turned around and saw Viola leaning across the wall grinning up at him. She was still in her silver dress, the wedding having ended only 30 minutes ago. Alec was also still in the dress pants and white shirt. He stepped back and stood next to Viola, closed his eyes and sighed.

"Off the charts. Yeah, I've never seen them so angry." He replied.

Viola laughed softly and said, "Just give them some time."

"After what I did... I don't think they'll ever forgive me." Alec slowly rolled his face towards Viola.

"Don't underestimate a parent's love." Viola paused and raised an eyebrow. "You don't regret it, do you?"

"Everything happened so fast. I didn't have time to think. I just wanna make sure Lydia's okay. Now I owe her so much." Alec said as he straightened himself and started walking towards Lydia's room, Viola following him.

"What she did was nothing short of heroic. I'll come with you." Viola agreed. Both of them walked in silence for some time before Viola suddenly gripped Alec's hand and pulled him back a few steps to face her.

"Hey, look, about what happened when you ran off and we...we both were alone.." Viola said slowly, blushing. Alec felt himself heat up too.

"Its alright.." He said.