24: Downtown Demon

"These hearts adore, 

everyone the other beats hardest for

Inside this place is warm ,

Outside it starts to pour"

- sweater weather, the neighbourhood

<------------>

"How'd it go with Aldertree?" Alec asked Viola as they walked across the institute. Viola had to jog slightly to keep up with him.

"I expected more but in his own charming, inimitable way, he informed me that I will be punished, but the form of punishment is yet to be decided. I just hope he doesn't take me out of the field." Viola replied, finally keeping up with Alec.

"All for trying to save my life." Alec stopped in his tracks and turned towards Viola. "Jace may have been the one who pulled me out, but I did feel you there." The Lightwood smiled at the girl.

"Well, Thank you for not dying on me." Viola replied in the same tone. "How is Jace? I wish there was something I could do to help him."

"He won't be gone long. Once his hand touches the Soul-Sword, the truth will come out... And prove that he's never been on Valentine's side." Alec replied. "Look, um, I know that with everything

that's been going on, I... We haven't had a chance to..." His face went slightly pink as he looked at Viola.

"Go on our first date?" Viola finished for him, smiling cheekily as she did so.

"Right, yes." Alec replied and started walking. Viola, once again, tried to keep up with him.

Slow down...I'd love to go on a date with you, Alec." She exclaimed, as Alec turned around for the second time to look at her fondly.

"You hungry?" He asked, an unusual expression on his face.

"Starving."

Their conversation was interrupted by a very irritated raj.

"Hey, Alec. Demon briefing in the ops center. All hands on deck." He said, not looking at Viola.

"Bad timing Raj. But...You look well." Viola said apologetically. Raj glared at her and walked away.

Viola laughed lightly. "Whoops.....Oh well, I suppose we'll have to postpone the date again."

"Yes...is that okay?" Alec asked unsurely.

"Of course. We're both shadowhunter, well more you than me, but duty calls." She took hold of his hand. "Now come on."

___________________

"Well, this is one nasty demon. Punched a hole right through his chest." Isabelle said, examining the blood of the victim.

"That's morbid." Viola added, her face a mixture of curiosity and disgust.

"With that kind of strength, I doubt it's done yet." Luke looked around unsurely. Clary was in a corner looking for prints while Alec was returning from patrolling the area. "Nothing in the immediate area." He announced.

"I'm taking the body back to the Institute. I'll run some tests to see what kind of demon we're dealing with." Isabelle said, motioning for some medic shadow hunters to help her.

Alec nodded. "Clary, Viola and I will widen the perimeter. Hey, Fray! We got a demon to hunt. Come on."

And that was how Viola found herself patrolling the surroundings with a stern Alec and confused Clary.