Chapter 9

~Sage's Pov~

After the incident this morning, the rest of the day went surprisingly smoothly.

Autumn, some other friends, and I had a nice lunch. It's so nice having her back. We can talk about agent things that I can't with other people. The others mostly talked about theatre or school news. They probably don't want to hear about my life as a spy. Although I don't know if you can call me a spy since what I do is borderline assassin.

"Are we going to talk about what happened this morning?"

"To what are you referring?" I play dumb. How did she already hear about that.

"Something along the lines of Isaac Frost declaring you've made out with him and are kind of a couple now, which I know can't be true, because you've both had personal vendettas against each other since I've known you." She looks across the cafeteria to find him. "So what actually happened?"

"From the beginning?" I love Autumn. I really do and I like telling her about my missions and life, but I don't want to relive my unfortunate encounters with Isaac more than I have to.

"That's the only good place to start!"

"I had to go to his house yesterday after class for a project—"

"On the first day?"

"I know, right! Anyway I get there and everything's fine. We even have kind of a nice chat until I get a call from Melody, saying I had to come in immediately. So I make an excuse and before I can bolt he's coming at me all puckered up."

"What an ass." Autumn rolls her eyes and continues snacking on her pita bread and hummus.

I glance over to see him staring intensely at us. It's like he knows we're talking about him. He needs to keep his nose in his own business.

"So that explains yesterday but what happened this morning?"

"He came up to me at my locker to 'apologize.'" I use air quotes to emphasize my disdain. "Then he starts acting like a dick and declared that I've kissed him and am 'super into him.' Someone must have gotten the wrong idea, because there is no way in hell that I would ever kiss Isaac Frost."

"Again."

"What? What do you—" But those words didn't come out of Autumn's mouth. There stands Isaac leaning over us, holding back a mischievous smile.

"Sage—" Autumn tries to warn me.

"I know. I was just hoping I was hallucinating, because I thought I made it clear that I didn't want to ever speak to you again." By this point some of the other people at our table are staring and inevitably eavesdropping.

"I can't very well stay away when you're spreading false rumors about me, can I?" He runs a hand through his hair. "Besides, everyone thinks we're a thing anyway."

"I didn't say anything that wasn't true."

He mockingly repeats, "'There's no way in hell I would ever kiss Isaac Frost.' You mean there's no way you would ever kiss me again, sweetness. Get your facts straight."

"We've never kissed, and we never will. Get that through your thick skull."

"August 3, 2015."

"Why do you have that memorized? Besides as far as I'm concerned the Isaac I used to be friends with and the one standing in front of me aren't the same person and never will be."

He stands still for a moment, probably searching for a comeback. When he can't find one, he shoves his hands in his pockets and storms out of the cafeteria.