Chapter 14: A Family 'Mon

---

Grotto Store, Sinnoh

Oliver and Sophie both walked downstairs to see a lounge area. Oliver admired the place, as things seemed extremely comfortable. He also was a bit scared that it looked extremely comfortable. Was it because they were used to being locked up in here?

Sophie remained in the back, apathetically walking behind the group. She wasn't as concerned with how the place looked, while she was trying her best to find a way out and back to freedom.

Once everyone was inside, Asher told Carson to begin boarding up the door, and he followed his order without hesitation, grabbing a few wooden planks before using them to board up the door.

Afterwards, Carson sat down next to Asher in a leisurely position, letting out a yawn. Meanwhile, the Lucario gestured to the couch across from them, saying that they could sit down there.

"Um..." Sophie was a bit hesitant about it.

"Don't worry." Oliver reassured her, walking over to the couch. "I know it's safe here." He patted the spot next to him before Sophie let out a sigh, walking over and sitting down.

"Now I'm guessing you two are confused as to what's going on, right?" Asher asked, which earned an eyeroll from Sophie.

"Oh, why wouldn't we be confused as to why we're boarded up in a store basement?" The Snivy remarked sarcastically. "Please, enlighten us."

"Well, it all started around nine years ago..."

Nine Years Ago...

"Daddy! Wake up!" A young girl's voice could be heard echoing through a large room as a female Nidoran was trying to wake a Nidoking up.

The Nidoking, who was already awake before his daughter ran in, wore a soft smile as he pretended to be asleep.

"Daddy! Mommy said she wants to go on a walk!" The Nidoran pouted lightly, still trying to wake him up.

The Nidoking suddenly shot up, letting out a playful roar.

"Eep!" His daughter squealed, soon letting out a cheerful giggle as she hugged him. "Good morning, Daddy!"

"Morning, my little princess." He smiled at his daughter. "Where'd you say your Mommy was?"

The Nidoran's eyes widened before she pouted stubbornly. "You were awake?" She asked, only to earn a laugh from her father. "No fair!"

"All's fair in sleep and war." He lightly ruffled his daughter's head.

"Denise! Honey!" The two heard a voice from outside the bedroom, "If you two don't get up, the breakfast is mine!"

"No!" Denise jumped up, before beginning to scurry towards the door. "Don't eat it, Mommy!"

The Nidoking watched his daughter run out of the room with a smile, slowly getting out of bed. He stretched and began to walk out of the room. As he passed by his window, he took a small peek at the town he was living in.

Forest Grotto.

It looked vibrant, full of life, and full of many species walking throughout it. Laughing, playing, and spending time together. He was glad that he settled down with his wife eight years ago, back when she was pregnant with his daughter, Denise.

He finally walked out of his bedroom and walked into the kitchen with a loud yawn.

"Morning, Sweetie." His wife gave him a smile, sitting at the kitchen table with Denise. "Sleep well?"

His wife was a beautiful Nidoqueen, the love of his life. He smiled at the sight of her, thanking whatever lord was out there for the blessing that was his lover.