Chapter 10: Letting Go

---

Casteel PKMN Center, Sinnoh

Sophie was the first to wake up, getting out of bed with her usual uninterested expression. She looked over to Oliver and Jacob's beds before realizing that they weren't there. She raised an eyebrow before walking up to the balcony, where both Jacob and Oliver were asleep on the floor nearby the railing.

The Snivy let out a silent sigh before picking Jacob up and putting him in his bed. She soon walked back over to Oliver before putting him in his bed as well. As she put him on the bed, she gazed at his sleeping face.

"Go without me!" Sophie yelled at the two. "Don't miss your chance, go!"

Both stood there, unsure of what to do. They were mere steps away from freedom, but what would having freedom really mean without the one that gave it to you?

Oliver seemed to be thinking by the same logic, and sprung off of his feet in order to reach Sophie. He ran forward before pulling up his scalchop and throwing it towards Binks, throwing off his balance.

The Oshawott noticed a familiar Monferno jumping towards them. "Jacob, hold him off!" Oliver shouted, to which Jacob nodded and tackled the Monferno to the ground. Oliver then grabbed Sophie's hand and pulled her behind him.

"Oliver... Why?" Sophie asked quietly.

The Oshawott turned back to her with a shaky smile, "Y-You just looked like you needed help..."

Sophie's hardened expression seemed to soften as she remembered what the Oshawott did to help her. She hadn't known what being friends with someone the same age as he would've been like. But she was glad that he was her friend now.

She dug into Oliver's backpack, knowing that he must've had some type of notebook in there. Her intuition was correct as she pulled out a small, black-colored notebook from inside. She opened the notebook from its back before neatly ripping out a piece of paper.

She quickly put the piece of paper down on the notebook before beginning to write on it. Once she finished, she put it on top of Oliver's face softly, so she wouldn't wake him up.

She silently walked out of the room, closing the door behind her softly.

---

Walking down the streets of Casteel City, Sophie was a bit on edge. She didn't have Oliver's kindness and Jacob's hyperactive nature to balance out her paranoia towards being out and about.

It made her feel a bit uneasy to be on her own. She knew that either Binks, or some of the other members of that gang could easily just pick her up and run off.

After all, Oliver, who was objectively weaker than her, had to protect her from Binks not too long ago...

Of course she was grateful for what he did, but it also made her feel wrong about it. How Oliver risked all of their progress just to go back for her.

She let out an almost faint sigh before continuing on her path.

Meanwhile...

Oliver's eyes opened slowly to be instantly met by a piece of paper laid on his face. The Oshawott reached up to his face to gently lift the paper from his face before sitting up.

"What...?" He asked himself, looking down at the paper. It was a note from Sophie, who, now that he looked around, wasn't in the room.

The note read; "Oliver and Jacob, I decided to go out for a bit to collect a few things. Don't worry, I'll probably be back by this evening. For now, you two just relax. ~Sophie."