Chapter 57: Growing Strains

Jacob opened his eyes, only to find himself sitting in the middle of an open meadow. The scent of morning dew was fresh in his nose as a waft of cool air slowly pushed over his fur. He looked around for a moment, puzzled. Last he remembered, he was on a train on a set course for Metro City. As his eyes scanned his surroundings, the Pikachu came to the slow realization that this field was almost endless, trees and mountains barely within sight over the horizon.

"Keep your eyes closed, Kid!!" He heard from behind, receiving a sudden smack on the back of his neck, causing the Pikachu to recoil in pain.

"Sorry, sorry!" He cried, words seemingly spilling from his lips without his prompting.

Jacob heard slow and heavy footsteps from behind him, making his ears perk up. But something was different about his senses here in this meadow. Not only was he able to hear the footsteps behind him. He could also feel the soft rumbles on his backside at the point where the grass touched his body. Like a shiver up his spine, the footsteps tickled the arch in his back.

"If you want to improve your abilities, you have to learn to use them not only in tandem with your body, but with the area surrounding your body as well."

The Pikachu was confused by what he was hearing. Not only was this voice one he had never heard before in his life, but the voice was speaking as though he knew Jacob, and the power he held within him. He soon exhaled, unknowingly loosening his shoulders.

"Now, I'm going to count to three, and you're going to try and hit me without looking."

"What?" Jacob asked the voice, "How could I possibly—"

"Activate your power."

"Huh?"

"I said to activate your power. You remember how to do it, right?"

"Of course I do!" The Pikachu clenched his paws, feeling electricity surge across his person.

Another distant sensation washed over his body, once again feeling as familiar as his own ability to walk and talk. Something was odd about activating his power this time, though. The constant shifting of power bubbling inside his chest seemed to be gone, replaced by a smooth, flowing river rushing inside. Usually, Jacob would have to immediately apply his power to something in order to let it have any effect, but he remained still, calm, and balanced. Nothing was leaking out, but there was no regression of force. Now that he thought of it, there was more power within him at this very moment than any other time he activated it.

"One..."

The Pikachu instantly felt his heart begin to increase in rate. Whether it be anxiety or eagerness, he wasn't sure. But what he was able to gather was that the one standing behind him was clearly someone more experienced than he was.

"...Two..."

Jacob felt his power bubbling, but not in the way he was used to. Instead of the surging, uncontrolled ability taking over his body, he felt a strange sense of balance between himself and his power. In that instant, they were separate from one another. Jacob was just some normal Pikachu while the power continued to build within him. He felt his fur stand on end, the electricity sparking from his cheeks increasing in volume.

"...Three!"

He shot up from his sitting position, turning around to be facing where he had heard the voice from. With his eyes shut tight, he had barely any idea of where he was supposed to attack. While still thinking over a plan of attack, Jacob's legs began moving on their own. He had forgotten that he wasn't able to control his body at all, rendered a spectator within his own body.