Chapter 47: Fruits of Training

---

Sapphire Town, Sinnoh

Below a solitary cabin, a large base was filled with a certain character's enthusiasm. It was Logan, who was running through the halls after being called to the commons.

"Where's the fight!?" Logan asked loudly, running in the commons.

Oliver quickly spoke up, "There's no fight."

"We're still waiting on information to actually begin the mission..." Mark explained, "We have to wait for a while."

"Ughhhh!" The Scorbunny began punching the air in different directions, "It's been so long since I've had a really good fight!"

"You define a good fight by whether it threatens your life or not..." Sophie remarked under her breath, looking away.

"Got a problem with that bucko?" Logan turned to the Snivy, his paws glowing red.

Sophie sighed faintly with exasperation, letting him win the exchange.

"How are your injuries healing, Sophie?" Oliver quickly changed the subject, trying to keep the peace.

The Snivy turned to face him, "I should be able to start training with the rest of you soon."

"Then the whole team will be in fighting form!" Miles exclaimed cheerfully.

Jacob nodded, "That's for sure."

Mark suddenly went silent at Miles' statement. He had never considered the possibility of Miles wanting to come along on the mission, but now he was entirely sure. If Miles considers himself to be a part of the team, then he would want to participate in it, of course. He wasn't even sure if Miles was ready to fight a proper battle.

His eyes shifted to Logan. There was only one way to find out.

"Logan, Miles," He called to the two, "How about you do a bit of sparring outside?"

"Finally!" Logan exclaimed.

The sunrise that began to peek over the hills of Sapphire illuminated the area as Logan and Miles stood on opposite sides of the plains area. Miles watched Logan closely, who paced back and forth within a small area.

Oliver, Jacob, and Sophie were sitting off to the side, anticipating the battle they were about to watch. Sophie was glad that she could actually watch battles, since being in bed for the majority of the day isn't the most opportune of circumstances to watch a battle.

Oliver looked between Miles and Logan. When it came to physical strength, Logan had the edge. Strategy, surprisingly, would also go to Logan. The only thing he could see Miles having an advantage over would be defense, since his Stone Edge evolved to be a defense-boosting attack, the Edged Armor.

The Oshawott knew that the fight was unfair, and he knew that Mark was aware of this as well.

"This will be a one on one battle!" Mark shouted, catching both off guard, "The battle will be decided by knockout, restriction, or surrender."

Both Logan and Miles nodded faintly.

The Garchomp's expression then darkened for a quick moment, "But I better not hear you surrender or It'll be me and you."

The two visibly flinched at this statement, a shiver going up their spines.

"Now, begin!"

Logan, as expected, took the first move by using his Flame Shots to launch himself at Miles. The Rockruff let out a yelp before quickly jumping to his right, using his familiar cyan pillars of stone to direct at Logan.

The Scorbunny only smirked devilishly, directing his paws towards the attack approaching him. He activated his explosive attack to destroy the stones ahead of him, a cloud of smoke bursting from the point of contact.

Mark watched every move carefully. He noticed how Logan seemed to always be keen to use brute force to push through an attack instead of avoiding it. While this worked on obviously weaker opponents such as Miles, it wouldn't work as well against stronger opponents like that Greninja and the Conkeldurr.

The Garchomp's gaze switched to Miles, who was sweating mildly. Despite what little time Miles has had with the rest of them, he was clearly showing promise whenever he could. He also noticed that Miles stopped leading fights by using his Edged Armor, like he was doing in this fight.

The outcome of the battle was clear to him, but he wasn't concerned about it.

Miles shielded his eyes from the smoke that was clouding the area, rendering himself defenseless against Logan, who burst from the smoke to deliver a devistating kick to the Rockruff's chin.

A pained yelp escaped Miles' mouth as he fell onto his back, looking at the figure looming over him. Logan only grinned at him as he prepared his paw for another attack.