Chapter Four: Awkward

Waking up the next day was horrible. The wolfblossom wore off hard. Stumbling out of my small house in the village, I realized I was late...again. 

"Have I been on time at all?" I mumbled to no one in particular. A loud neighing brought my hands to my ears and whipped my head around. It was Howl. She seemed to be asking why I wasn't going to her. I drug my limbs over to the fence. 

"I'd better not try to ride today," I told her. She snorted. "I know I've ridden after a wolfblossom crash before." Looking up at the sky, squinting when the sun caught my eye, I realized just how late I was. 

"Fine," I mumbled as I climbed awkwardly onto my horse. I rode as dignifiedly as I could. The haven came into view and I slid off Howl. She walked over to the stable and stood in front of a stall. A smile slid across my face. Howl was always so patient when I was out of it. Once I got her in the stall, I headed to see Koriun. My mind was starting to clear a little. 

"Regina!" Hayden's arm flailed back and forth as he waved to me. 

"Heloooo," I yawned. "Fine morning we have here." 

"It's hardly morning," air-Koriun's voice mumbled. I glared in the direction it came from. 

"Well if you guys don't mind, I think all I need is a tad bit more sleep," I mumbled, hoping they could understand my words, "it wouldn't be too much trouble if I took a quick nap would it?" 

"Better than you stumbling around all day," Koriun neighed. 

"Fine," Hayden said at the same time. 

I layed down in the grass and did just that. 

Have you ever woken up to the face of a kid you've been assigned to work with only a few days ago staring at you? Pretty. Damn. Weird. Just to tell you. That's what happened with Hayden and I. 

"Hayden what the hell?" I growled. Pushing my heels into the ground I skitted away from him. "What the hell was that?" 

"I told you she'd wake up!" Koriun managed to say through his hysterical laughter.  

"Seriously Hayden," I started, sitting up, but my words fell, out of my mind along with all my other thoughts. Standing in the pasture, right there in front of me, was a unicorn. I could see Koriun. 

"What are you staring at?" the unicorn was about the size of a Shetland pony. He turned around. "Is there something behind me?" 

"You," I managed to say, "I can see you." 

"Impossible." Koriun was all white, but his mane and tail were silver. 

"Do something," I challenged. 

He reared up. 

"You reared," I stated, "your eyes are green. Light green. Come here? They're really pretty." 

"She's lost it," Koriun mumbled.  

"Your eyes are green Koriun," Hayden said. 

"Oh, right," Koriun snorted. 

"So you really can see him?" Hayden asked. 

"Yeah," my voice hovered in a mystified tone. "No I'm making it all up," I added sarcastically when I realised what the question was. 

"Why?" 

No one said anything. 

"Maybe Baxan would know?" Koriun finally broke the silence. 

We set off to the hut where the Dispatchers had told me I had been chosen to be a Keeper. Where I told them I couldn't...because I couldn't see a unicorn. Which was because I wasn't a virgin. But now I could see Koriun. Virginity doesn't grow back...what the hell was going on?