Chapter Six: Armaria

"The Dispatchers don't choose the Keepers," I relayed my news. Most of the day was gone, the shadows beginning to grow longer. After my long night out with Rayor, a rude awakening from Deverell banging on my door, and an early-morning tracking mission were not my ideal start to the day. 

But what was exactly what I got? Yeah, that describes my morning. How beautiful of weather for tracking it was too. All the thick fog. If I could die from sarcasm over dose... 

"I know," Hayden's reply to my discovery was sullen. I could tell something was hiding behind his words, unsure if it wanted to escape or not. While I had an idea of what it might be about, it was none of my business. I turned to Koriun for his response. 

"I can believe that." 

"Thanks for keeping me out of the loop guys," I mumbled, my huge revelation was apparently common knowledge. Great, back to--almost-- square one. 

"I thought you would have known," Hayden said apologetically, "you've lived in the village your whole life haven't you?" 

"Yeah, but no one from the village knows, well anything really, about how this place works." 

"No one?" 

"Naw, we're relatively clueless," I confirmed. The unicorn was being rather quiet today. "Hey Koriun, mind if I ask you a question?" 

He eyed me warily, but answered with a calm word. "Sure." 

"Sure yes or sure no?" I hated ambiguous answers. 

"Sure yes." 

"Any idea what an Armaria is?" 

The unicorn froze. His green eyes widened and darted around momentarily before settling on something conveniently on the side of the forest opposite me. "No," he answered flatly, but even Hayden could sense a hectic undertow. 

"Come on Koriun, Rayor read about an Armaria," I pushed, trying to break his defense. 

"I don't know anything about that," Koriun almost growled. 

"It sounds like you do." 

"Koriun, I know you," Hayden joined my effort--tank his little soul, "you know something about this Armaria thing." 

"Stop saying it!" Koriun was prancing, getting frustrated with us.  

"Why should we stop saying Armaria?" Hayden egged. 

"What is an Armaria?" I asked. 

"I don't know her!" Koriun broke. 

"Armaria is a name," I stated rather than asked. 

"Who is Armaria?" Hayden corrected his previous what to who.  

Koriun sighed. We broke through to him. He gave up. "She is a fairy," he said, "and please stop saying her name before she shows up." 

A whirring sound filled the air. 

"Too late," the unicorn mumbled, "she's on her way." 

"She's the one who picked me to be a Keeper," I said, "I'd like to meet her." 

"You will," Koriun said grudgingly, "but I'm not sure you'll be so glad to have met her once she leaves." 

"How soon will she be here?" Hayden asked. 

"The more you say her name, the faster it'll be," Koriun's voice was wary. "I'll go hide someplace, get me when she's gone." He turned toward the forest just as a zapping sound stopped the whirring.