Chapter Fourteen: New Position

The smell of leaves overwhelmed my nostrils when I woke up. Considering I was in Allistair's forest-surrounded home, that made sense. It wasn't something I was used to, but it would become so. I smiled. This was my home now too. 

We'd gotten back to the haven late in the afternoon the day before. Allistair had happily welcomed me into his home. My stuff--it wasn't very much-- was quickly delivered, along with Howl, thanks to Josephine. She had even put my house up for sale. Something I hadn't even heard of--let alone thought necessary. I could tell Josephine agreed by a comment about my--apparently-- large pile of siivlays and brozys. She said I could survive in one of the biggest cities she'd seen for well over a month. I still didn't understand the circles at all. 

A rustle came from Allistair's half of the bed. He had just woken up.  

"Damn, Reggie," he slurred, "why do you need all this fluff in my bed?" The blankets to my left moved around as Allistair tried to fight his way through them.  

"Don't complain," I scolded, "you know I prefer them over an itchy, rough, straw mattress. Be careful or I'll end up making my nest over in that corner." 

"Oh calm down Regina," he breathed, finally making his way through my nest to wrap his arms around me. My mind leapt back to the morning in the clearing, and Hayden... I shook my head. That was nothing, and I needed to forget about it. 

I melted into his grip as he began kissing my neck softly. The angle I ended up laying at caused a ray of sunlight to land directly in my eyes. 

"Shit! How late is it?" I asked, springing up out of Allistair's grip, and visibly annoying him. 

"It's not full sun yet," he half growled. 

"I'm sorry. I have to go to the haven," I hurried around, trying to get ready, "I'll try to be back early though." 

"Fine." Allistair Marcor sat on his bed, half pouting as I rushed out the door. I sighed as I headed toward the haven's main gate. Just because I lived with Allistair now didn't mean that he'd get to monopolize my time. I had two jobs, one of which, was about to get really busy again. 

As soon as we'd gotten back to the village, Rathor found us, and brought Josephine away for a meeting. Edgar, who had gone along with Rathor, told me that they'd found something. Considering all the work we'd done, and found nothing, that could be good or bad. Either our menace had slipped up somehow, or they could be getting closer. Something about the guys' relay of the news pointed to the later. 

I hadn't gotten a real chance to talk to Koriun yet. I hadn't the chance to ask him about Chrysthy's accusations. Almost, I didn't want to. What if she was right? Worry grew itself inside my head as I walked. By the time I got to Koriun's pasture, it had grown to the point of taking over my brain. 

"Hey Regina!" Hayden called. His face became confused. My worry must have taken over my face too. "What's wrong? It's not about that morning in the clearing is it?" His face became worried--and red--too. 

"No, it's not about that. It's about Koriun." 

Hayden's eyes shot to the unicorn. "Is something wrong with him?" 

"I just need to ask some questions. Koriun, will you be honest with me?" 

"Yeah, of course," confusion saturated the unicorn's beautiful voice.  

I heaved a sigh before starting in, afraid of the answers. "Are you just fucking with us?" Well that came out a lot more blunt than I had meant for it to. 

"Excuse me?" Koriun sounded hurt. Shit. 

"Sorry, that ended up really blunt. I don't mean just you, I mean like everyone. As in the whole haven."