Chapter 20

Maia POV

"Yeah. Your two goons and my girl Maia here. If we're going to do this we should do it right. Like a standard game, three players with three bats each". Dylan tells him.

Wait. What? I don't know how to bat. Yes I do, Dylan just showed me how to hold a bat. I have no idea if I can hit one though. Hitting a baseball takes time, dedication and skill. I just picked up a bat for the first time five minutes ago. There's no way I can do this. Why is he trusting me with this. 

The two boys continue to talk, but I pay no attention to them. Their words enter one ear and go out the other. I've never played a sport. In elementary school I did play kick ball and dodge ball, but that was years ago. I haven't picked up a ball since. In middle school my doctor and my father worked hard to get me exempt from PE. All because that's when boys and other athletic individuals became even more competitive and threw balls without concern for the people on the other end, and that's when they started the mile. A stupid running test that probably would have killed me. I try to do everything like everyone else so there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with me. So I just look like another kid participating in class. I would have ran trying to keep up with the others, pushing myself and causing my heart to work to hard and make myself pass out. Probably wouldn't have happened, but you never know. I never really know anything. Anything could fuck me over in the long run, which is probably why I chose art. 

Art is safe. You stay in one spot and just let your creative juices do the work and move it from your mind to a piece of paper. Safe and secure. Something that could never hurt me. Something that could never kill me. 

"Were all professionals here. I say anything goes". Dylan responds.

Professionals? I'm not a professional. I have no idea what I am doing. Why did he rope me into this? "Dyl". I call, the last syllable of his name getting lost in my throat. "I'm not a professional". 

He looks at me a smile on his face, as he places his hand on my shoulder in a friendly gesture. "I know, but just remember everything I taught you and you'll be fine. I believe in you". 

His hand slides down my arm stopping at my hand and grabbing it. He pulls me with him as he walks towards home plate. He grabs the bat leaning against the gate with his free hand and places it in my free hand. "I trust you. Even if you suck at this it doesn't mean I'll stop being your friend. Just relax, breathe, and remember balance".

His eye closes in a wink and I slowly drop my hand from his. I watch him walk towards Callie. A soft smile at my face. He's a good person and a good brother. One thing confuses me though. If this guy is the cause of his pain, why is he doing this? Why is he doing what hurt him so long ago again today? 

Isaiah's friends walk over to the plate and I move myself farther to the side. I really don't want to go first. ne of them takes a spot on the plate and the other stands where I do on the other side. I watch as the balls get thrown and missed, but begin to feel a pair of eyes on me. the tape from the monitor on my chest starts to feel itchy and I cant myself subconsciously scratching around the tape wincing when I itch to close and it pulls at my skin.  I turn my head to where I feel the stare and catch Dylan watching me. I don't know why he's watching me. I'm just standing here. He gestures for me to breath. Even from a couple feet away from me he can tell I'm nervous.  

When the two finish their turn I take my place at the plate. I imagine there Dylan tapped and stand there. His word playing in my head as I move my feet. Spread your feet shoulder width apart, bend your knees and make sure you stay balanced. 

I do exactly as he told me. Making sure I feel as awkward and weird as I did the first time. I set up my hands on the bat, and feel the  warmth of his hands over mine as I place them. Place your left hand above your right. Your right hand at the base.