In the City

⚠️ sensitive subjects (paragraph 2)⚠️

It's the day before Christmas Eve, the 23rd, and Jennifer has an interview today for a Vogue magazine. She was the only person awake, waiting for everyone to get up. She brewed some coffee, sat outside on the balcony and wrapped herself up. It was pretty cold, it's winter obviously and New York was covered in snow. She rummaged through her robe pocket, pulling out her packet of cigarettes and lighting one up. As she puffed away, she took sips from the hot mug.

Jennifer tried to stop smoking, she did when she found out she was pregnant, but it would always come back. Eventually she would begin smoking again, in secret. She didn't tell David, she knew fine well that he would be upset about it. Jen is angry enough at herself for it, she didn't need to hear David give her a lecture when she knows the health risks and badness that it causes. When becoming pregnant, all three times, she quit and wouldn't give in to the temptation. But after giving birth, the stress would cause her to go back to the addiction. She had terrible postpartum depression after giving birth to Amara. Which made her smoke constantly. She had a horrible time trying to bond with Amara, that's why she's so close now, she still feels the guilt of not taking care of her daughter for months after birth. There was much more, her depression broke David and her. Once Jennifer was able to take care of herself and her children, it had taken so long that David and herself had fallen apart. He turned to drinking, barely being home, substituting alcohol for food and shutting out his wife. He vowed that he wouldn't touch alcohol again, she only wishes she could do the same with smoking.

"Jen" David's voice echos through the street noise as he walks out on the balcony. Jennifer turns to him, keeping her hand with the cigarette held over the wall. "Good morning" he walked closer, placing his hands on her waist and giving her a small peck. He screws up his face, sniffing a few times.

"Morning, how did you sleep?" Jennifer asks quickly, hoping to change a new subject coming up.

"Your smoking?" He raises his eyebrows, questioning her.

"I uh... Fuck," she turns away, looking back over the city and sighing loudly as she leaned against the wall with both arms. "I tried David, I promise you-" she began, tears pressing their way to the surface. "I'm so sorry, I really shouldn't be-"

David wrapped his arms around her waist, cutting her off. "It's okay, it's okay honey" he kissed the side of her head then stood beside her. "Pass me one" she turns around quickly, confusion on her face, David nodded and she reluctantly gave him one.

For a while they stayed quiet, enjoying the comfortable silence between the two of them, other than the street noise. He reached over, interlocking their free hands.

"I have to go soon" Jennifer broke the silence, bringing the cigarette to her mouth, taking one last draw then putting it out. "You want to come?"

"Watch a photo shoot?" He turned to her, not really interested in the idea of it. "I'm sure you'll look great but-"

"And naked" she cut him off, smirking devilishly at him.

"I'll be there"

"Thought you might change your mind"

<><><>

|Jennifer's pov|

David and I arrived an hour ago to the shoot, currently my hair is getting done by Chis who flew out yesterday with Angela.

"David you better sit something on your lap if your watching" Chris laughed. I looked over at David, he keeps his eyes on his phone, laughing sarcastically.

"Lighten up babe" I giggle, getting up from the chair as my hair is finished.

"Jen, are you really going to be naked?" David finally looks away from his phone, getting up and walking over to me. "I uh... it's a little uncomfortable for me that a bunch of guys will be seeing... you"