(19)

The rain had stopped and the night sky was free of clouds. The crescent moon shone brightly. Lucas loved the night sky, no matter what it never changed. He could look at it and imagine he was at home, with his family and pack.

Lucas tried to brush all the nostalgic thoughts away but some things never leave.

Joshua shuffled in bed, Lucas looked back to find him asleep. The boy had tried to keep everything under check but failed. 

Lucas knew that it would take Joshua a few months to accept and move on. It was scary for him to see someone go through what he did.  He had no choice but to stand there and watch. 

If he chose to stay, Joshua needed to ride the highs and lows of emotion. Lucas was hopeful that once his school started he would be too busy to think about any of it.

Lucas changed into more comfortable clothes and opened his laptop for completing his work. 

He could not concentrate. 

He wanted to talk to someone, to let out all his feelings. He thought about calling Jasmine but pushed away from the thought. He closed his eyes and rested his head on the backrest of the chair.

Scarlett.

He could clearly see the loathing in her eyes. 

It wasn't surprising for him, if he had been in her place he might have done the same. 

Lucas admired the way she was. The shock in her eyes when they had first met was spectacular.  The way she stared at him completely amused was very cute. He was drawn to her but he knew he had to keep his distance. 

Lucas didn't want Scarlett's life to entangle with his own and create a mess. She deserved to be free and happy. She deserved someone who could make her happy. She deserved so much better than him. 

But there was always a part of him, the irrational part, which wanted to keep her to himself.

Lucas knew deep down, Scarlett would never want him.

*******

Vote

Comment

Share