Chapter Twenty Two: The Parting Glass

Shawn and Kara arrive at He and Ravens home. The Pyre had been placed right outside the home, in front of the Waterfall that led into a tiny little creek, filling the home with the sounds of water rushing gently past the rocks. They had only ever experienced the sound when in absolute silence which is where they found themselves when entering the home. " You got her to come? " Raven smiles and heads to Kara, pulling her in her arms and hugging her tightly. " Gabriel would want you here Kara.." Raven begins to tear up as Kara hugs her back. " I know" Kara responds softly, trying her best to keep her composure.
" Well not that you are here, we can start" Raven informs Kara as she walks away to pick up young Penelope in her arms and then they proceed to make their way outside.

As they all stand around the Pyre, Lysette walks over, picking a mug full of strong Liquour and takes her place beside it Pyre " We have gathered here today, to send off the Lycan King, Gabriel. Loving friend and the greatest King of our people" Lysette notices Kara and smiles gently, being happy that she did show up to the funeral.
" It is with a heavy heart, that goodbye to our King. Our family. Our friend. Let us drink in his honor! And share in the story that holds true to his memory.
Shawn heads over to the table nearby and grabs a drink for himself and Kara. He would have given one to Raven but she was holding Penelope.

" When I first met him, he was nothing but a mere child. Just like Penelope. But he was different. I knew from the moment I saw him..he was going to be something special. He was destined for such great things and yet did so much more beyond that. He went to a distant land, giving up his home to protect someone who has become near and dear to my heart. He gave up a lot to keep her safe and he succeeded in his mission. And whilst I could define his life as a hero, I would sooner see him as just who he was, caring and loving. Despite his mistakes, and his flaws, he was family. And he will forever be missed" Raven smiles and nods for Shawn to start.

" I also met Gabriel as an infant. I too felt that he was different. I was drawn to him, like I believe that we all were. Every since we first met, we were brothers. He and I fought many times, but we always stuck together no matter what. Even during his time on earth, I watched over him closely to make sure he didn't get himself into trouble which he always seemed so good at doing" Shawn chuckles. " He was my brother. More family to me than he could have ever realized. And if he were here right now with us, I would embrace him and tell him the words I never got around to saying but knew that he could feel just as I could. " I love you Gabriel. I love you and miss my brother but we will meet again someday I hope. And when we do, you better be ready for me to get payback on you for breaking my ribs " Shawn laughs as he takes a drink, finishing it all and turns to Kara.

Kara stares down at her drink, trying to search deep in its contents for the words to speak for Gabriel. " Gabriel..he was my protector. And for the longest time, I thought that was a job to him and that he felt obligated to do it. That I was nothing but a nuisance to him. And now, I know why he did it. He did it because he loved me. He was strong and he loved with a loyalty and dedication that taught me so many things. In some ways, he taught me how to be myself. He taught me that I was stronger than I gave myself credit for. And he pushed me to be better. I remember the first time I saw him in school. He was strange and intimidating but for the most part, he didn't scare me. I found myself thinking we were more similar than we were different. And I think that was both a good and bad thing. We hindered one another and yet also forced each other to grow. I miss him dearly. And I love him. He never needed this world, this world needed him. We all do. And I know things are never going to be the same without" Kara looks up at the sky, shimmering Green. " Wherever you are no Gabriel...I raise this glass to you. So that you know I am safe and can rest easy..my.." Kara stopped herself and stared back down at her drink before drinking deeply from it.

Lysette looked on and nodded as she grabbed a torch from the side of the Pyre. " He was loved more than he could know. He was appreciated more than he knew. And he will forever be remembered as, as the last Lycan King " Lysette smiled and finished her glass as Shawn's sisters poured out from Ravens home and threw themselves on the Pyre.

" GABRIEL NOOOOO" Xilema cried out. " HE WAS TOO YOUNG" said Esione.  " WE WERE GOING TO BE TOGETHER FOREVER" Yetemeh cried. " He was pretty fucking hot " Valshi shrugged, trying to keep her composure but cried not too long after.
Everyone looked on in astonishment. " You didn't even know him well.." Shawn said under his breath as he face palmed.
" We can still love someone we barely know, brother " Xilema cried to Shawn who began shaking his head.

Lysette then, manage to wave off the sisters and then lit the Pyre. A beautiful deep blue smoke filled the air, traveling towards the sky above, his family and friends watching as he had finally been able to reach the heavens.

Back at Kara's empty Palace, in the room of white, the wall Kara had stared at so intently, began to open, revealing a hand out of the darkness, renewed and restored.