Chapter 28: Unexpected Business

Jason's POV

    I woke up a couple of hours after Tia and I fell asleep. I got up to use the bathroom and then couldn't go back to sleep, so I just climbed back into bed and answered some emails on my phone while Tia slept on my chest. Even though I can't sleep, this has been the most peaceful I've felt in months, but my body has probably gotten used to no sleep.

    I was about to fall back asleep when my phone rang. 'Seriously.' I roll my eyes and pick up the phone. "Hello." I answer with clear agitation in my voice. Not only did they interrupt my sleep, but they're interrupting my time with my Bambina. "This better be an emergency."

    I keep my voice low so that I don't wake up Tia. "Umm, boss..." one of my men, Giovanni, speaks through the phone with a shaky voice, "we may have a potential problem."

    "We may have a problem, or we do have a problem." I growl lowly. "We either do or we don't, so which one is it.?"

    "Well, um," He stammers.

    "Giovanni, stop fucking around and tell me what's wrong already." I snapped at him. "I'm busy so this better worth making me agitated,

    "Ivan Popov just landed in JFK." He finally blurts out, and my blood runs cold.

    'You've got to be kidding me.' I curse my luck as I quickly, yet carefully, get out of bed and start putting on my clothes. 'If it's not one thing, it's another.'

    "Okay, calm down Gio, I'm on the way." He's at ten, and I need him to be at two. It helps nothing if everyone starts freaking out and losing their heads, especially if this is all a misunderstanding. "I'm going to send Tiana to my place, call Tristan and Dereck and tell them to get to Tiana's building right now. You know what else to do." After I was done barking out orders, I hung up without bothering with parting pleasantries.

    'Now to wake up Tia.' I sigh deeply as I finish getting dressed. I  bend down and began to shake her awake. "Bambina," I lean over her and kiss her forehead. "I need you to wake up for me, my love."

    "Mmmm," she moans tiredly, turning over in annoyance. "Why?" She grumbles.

    "There's an emergency that I need to take care of." I whisper in her ear.

    "Emergency?" She turns back over and pops her head up. "Is everything okay?"

    "It's just a meeting, Bambina." I half lie, as to not freak her out. This could all be a misunderstanding so there's no need for me to raise her blood pressure over something that can very well be nothing. "But the topic is something that can't be put off, so I have to go now."

    "If it's just a meeting, then can't it wait till the morning?" She asks with a pout, looking up at me with big brown puppy eyes. "Can't you stay a little longer?"

    "Not on this one, love." I say, caressing her face, and kissing her forehead again. "But, I promise that when I'm done you'll get my undivided attention."

    "Mkay," she mumbles, giving me a small smile of agreement, even though I know she's far from happy right now.

    "I'm sorry Tia." I move to embrace her. "But I have to go."

    She sighs heavily, throwing her arms around me and holding me close to her. She doesn't say anything, but I can tell that she's very worried and upset.  I know that she doesn't want me to leave so soon after we made up, but I really don't have a choice in the matter. I pull back a little so that we're face to face and give her a light kiss. "How about you pack a bag, and you can stay with me for the weekend." I offer her in an effort to cheer her up just a little.