Chapter 17

"Don't...no....no....don't go down the-" the woman let out a scream as she came face to face with with the murderer causing me to nearly jump off the couch. "Here, give me the popcorn before you spill it everywhere," Denny said as he grabbed the big bowl off my lap. I scowled over at him but sat back in the couch.

"Is this really a good idea?" I asked him as I turned my attention away from the screen to look at him. Denny shoved a handful of popcorn in his mouth before answering. "What do you mean?" he asked as he swallowed it down. I pointed over at the screen. "I don't know if a man with a bad heart should be watching a movie with a bunch of jump scares in it," I said.

Denny chuckled and shoved another handful of popcorn in his mouth. He pointed back at the T.V. before looking at me. "This isn't scary. This is predictable," he said. He turned his attention back to the T.V. I watched Denny out of the corner of my eye. The woman on the T.V. screamed again and this time Denny did jump.

"See, scary," I said while grabbing the popcorn bowl from him and sitting it on the table in front of us making sure at this point that neither of us spilled it. Denny slung his arm onto the back of the couch and I snuggled into his side. Denny kissed the top of his head before leaning his head on top of mine.

"What time do you have to go in today?" he asked me. We weren't paying attention to the movie at this point. "I'm working the evening shift today. The library closes at nine so I'll be home by nine-thirty or so," I said as I looked over at the clock to see what time it was. "I'm scheduled at four. I'll get ready after the movie is over," I said.

Denny wrapped his arm around me tighter as we settled back in to watching the movie. Denny's hand ran up and down my bare arm. His hands were still cold and it made me sad. It had been eight months since I learned all about Denny's problem and we still had yet to hear from the doctor.

Denny showed me a beeper they had given him. They told him that when it started going off that meant he had a heart and he had thirty minutes to call the number on the back of the beeper to let them know that he got the message and he was on his way. Some days I felt like I was staring at it just willing it to go off.

Denny said when he was in the hospital that it had already been seven years and he was used to waiting. But now that I knew what was going on waiting was a difficult thing. I wished that there was a way I could just go to the hospital and plead with them to get him a new one but I knew that that wouldn't happen.

Denny said the only way he could be moved up on the list to number one was to either get worse or the person in front of him would have to pass away. I didn't want either of those things. I looked over at Denny and watched his chest rise and fall. I gently laid my hand over his heart and felt the faint beat.

"What are you doing?" he asked me as he kissed my forehead again. I looked up at him and he bent over to kiss my lips softly. "Just feeling your heart beat," I told him. Denny huffed softly. "It's still beating, I promise," he said. I smiled and sat up. I grabbed the remote and turned off the T.V.

"Hey," he whispered almost like he was offended. I rolled my eyes. "It's not like we were really watching it," I told him as I stood up from the couch. I stretched my limbs and looked down at Denny. He was watching me intently. I need to get ready for work," I said as I looked at the clock and saw the time.

I rubbed Denny's shoulder as I walked past him and made my way to our bedroom. I looked outside to see that it was gray and gloomy. I went into the closet and grabbed a paid of jeans and a sweater knowing that winter was coming and it was most likely going to be a cold and rainy evening.

I went into the bathroom and turned the shower on waiting on the water to warm up. I brushed my teeth and stuck my hand inside the shower to feel that the water was the right temperature. I stepped in the shower and groaned as the water hit my back. It instantly relaxed my tense muscles.

I blindly grabbed some soap and lathered it up. My nose filled with Denny's scent. I opened my eyes and saw that I grabbed the wrong bottle. I shrugged my shoulders and rubbed it all over me. There was no use in wasting it. I stepped back under the shower and let it all rise off of me before shutting off the water and puling back the shower curtain.

I grabbed a towel and wrapped it around me before stepping out. I cleared the mirror of the fog before continuing to dry myself off. I changed into my clothes and pulled my hair up into a messy bun. I hung up my towel and walked out of the bathroom and bedroom wondering what Denny was up too.

I walked back into the living room to find him stretched out on the couch. His soft snores filled the room and told me that he was asleep. I peeked over the top of the couch and saw his mouth was slightly open. I chuckled and walked around the couch to grab the popcorn bowl off the table.

I took the bowl into the kitchen and dropped the popcorn into the trash before putting the bowl in the sink. I grabbed a bottle of water out of the refrigerator along with my dinner and walked out of the kitchen. I placed my dinner with my purse and slipped on my shoes before making my way back to the living room to Denny.

I crouched down beside him and kissed him lightly on the forehead. He stirred a little but didn't open his eyes. I ran my hand through his hair and his eyes barely opened. "Hey you," I whispered. He smiled softly. "I need to be getting to work," I said. He nodded and raised up a little bit kissing me quickly on the lips.

I pulled back and rubbed his cheek before standing up. "I'll see you in a bit," I said as I made my way to the front door to grab my things. I hit the button to unlock my car just as the rain started to slowly fall in big drops out of the sky. I groaned and made a quick run to my car that was sitting behind Denny's truck in the driveway.

I back out and made my way towards the library. The rain seemed to get heavier and heavier the more I drove. I turned on the windshield wipers and tried to focus on the road in front of me. I turned down the radio so it wouldn't distract me.  The thunder started to rumble and the lightning cracked in the sky.

"Jesus," I whispered as I tightened my grip on the wheel. I slowed my speed down knowing that Barbara wouldn't care if I was a little late for work. I stopped at a red light and drummed my fingers on the steering wheel waiting on the light to change. My phone dinged but I didn't bother looking at it. I would check it before I clocked in for the night.

A horn beeped just as soon as the light changed to green. I rolled my eyes but hit the gas to move me forward. People were so impatient. I hit my turn signal and got in the left hand lane to turn towards the library. The rain was letting up a little bit and I could see a little better. The light turned green and I made my way out into the intersection.

Everything seemed to happen so quickly. The sound of brakes screeching made me turn my head to the right. The car was approaching too quickly. My light was green. I knew it was. The car plowed into the passenger side of my car before I even knew what was happening. The sound of metal crunching hit my ears.

My car was tipped over. Maybe rolled. I couldn't really tell. The airbags deployed and I screamed as I felt myself stop upside down. I opened my eyes and looked at my surroundings. Everything was now on my roof which was on the ground. My dinner was everywhere as was everything that was inside my purse.

I tried to unbuckle my seat belt but it was jammed. My windows were in tact and I beat on my driver's window to try and break it. It wouldn't budge. I screamed. Someone had to hear and see it right? My body was running on adrenaline and my ears seemed to be ringing. A figure appeared in front of my window.

It was a man. Maybe. It was still raining and I was upside down. The blood was starting to rush to my head from being in this position. I looked around for my phone but the person was knocking on the window trying to get my attention. The panic started to set in and I felt like I couldn't breathe.

It seemed like a tunnel vision was setting in. The fuzziness was starting to set in. I reached up and felt my forehead realizing how much pain I was actually in. I pulled back my hand and saw fresh blood on it. "Shit," I mumbled trying to find something to press to it to stop it from bleeding.

The panic set in worse once I realized I didn't have anything. I started hitting the window harder wanting out of my car immediately. I started seeing stars before the darkness started to consume me. "No," I mumbled trying to fight it. The darkness overtook me just as I heard another beep.

Beep......Beep. Beep.