Chapter 13

*Emily's POV*

"Freeze, Mister. What do you think you're doing?" I asked Denny as I walked through the front door. Denny was standing on a small ladder in my living room. He had a paint covered shirt and jeans on along with a backwards baseball cap. It was another rainy day in Seattle and I had run out to grab some groceries for the week.

It had officially been three months since Denny had been released from the hospital. After getting his diet under control along with his medications, Denny seemed to be back to normal. He was allowed back to work on light duty. I had went back to the library part time. It wasn't much, but it was still paying the bills.

We were going back and forth between our houses giving us a change of scenery on occasion. Denny without me knowing some days was going to work and coming home and not resting. He had randomly decided to start painting my house. I didn't know if it was out of boredom or if he thought my house looked that bad and needed some updates.

Denny turned and looked at me with a sly little grin on his face. "Nothing, why?" he asked as he laid the paint brush in the tray and got down from the ladder. He walked over to me. I dropped the grocery bags on the floor just as his arms came around me. I felt the cool wet paint hit my t-shirt and I cringed.

"You know, I actually liked this shirt," I told him as I looked down and saw the bits of paint on my shirt now. Denny chuckled and I looked up at him. Denny was still tired and he hadn't been keeping up on shaving. At this rate he had a pretty decent sized beard going. White paint speckled the brown in his beard.

"You know you're supposed to be resting," I told him. He gave me a toothy grin and pointed around him. "This is resting," he said. I shook my head as he released me and I grabbed the grocery bags from the floor. "No, sir. It is not resting. This may not be much, but it's more than what you need to be doing," I told him as I directed him towards the kitchen bar to sit down.

He slumped into the chair and watched as I put everything away in the kitchen. I grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge and handed it to him. "Have you taken your meds today?" I asked him. He took a sip of water before answering. "Yes, mother," he said sarcastically. I turned and glared at him playfully.

"Hey now, I'm trying to make sure that you're doing everything by the books," I said. He glared back at me, but it wasn't so playful. "What do you think I did before you? I'm a big boy, I know how to take care of myself. It's not my fault that I have a shitty heart that could kill me," he grumbled.

I felt my jaw drop. "Denny, that's not what I meant. I just want to make sure you're careful and safe," I said. Denny pushed the chair back rather harshly. "I am making sure I'm careful. God forbid I want to do something nice for someone I care about!" he said while throwing his hands up in the air.

I leaned against the counter. I could tell he was mad because his breath came out faster. "Denny, you need to calm down. You don't need your hea-," he quickly cut me off. "I don't need my heart racing because it's fault and I might have another heart attack, I know!" he said his voice raising in octaves.

I bit my lip and didn't say a word. "I've been dealing with this for years, it's nothing new to me! I know my limits and I know how to take care of myself. I don't need someone mothering me and telling me what to do!" he yelled. I bit my lip harder trying to now choke back the tears that weere threatening to fall.

"Well, God forbid, I try to do something nice for someone I care about, Denny Duquette," I said throwing his words right back in his face. I really didn't feel like arguing with him. "Well I don't need your pity, and I sure as hell don't need your help!" his footsteps stomped through my small house.

"Denny wait!" I called after him while pushing myself off the counter to catch up with him. "No, Emily. I'm fine, I don't need you!" he yelled before opening the door and slamming it behind him. I watched through the window as he tucked his hands in his pockets and marched across thr street in the pouring rain.

It was coming down so hard that after he was to his driveway the rain didn't allow me to see him anymore. I walked over and put the lid on the paint can and took the paint brush that he was using to the sink. I turned on the water to as hot as I could handle before I starting scrubbing the brush trying to get the paint out.

Tears started spilling down my cheeks and I didn't even bother trying to hide them. I never thought Denny could've yelled like that. He didn't strike me as a yelling person. He was always so quiet and reserved. I finished cleaning the paint brush and left it in the sink before heading back to the living room to clean up the paint cloths that were littered across the floor.

I folded them all neatly and collapsed the ladder that Denny had been standing on before stacking it all in the corner. I made my way upstairs and decided to strip my now paint stained clothes and get in the bath. I once again turned the water on as hot as I could handle and I stepped in. I groaned as the water relaxed my now tense muscles.

I took a long shower, so long that the water had started turning cold. I finally got out and wrapped myself in a towel before heading to my bedroom to throw some comfortable clothes on. I grabbed a oversized hoodie and threw it on along with some leggings knowing that it was going to be a colder night.

I walked back downstairs and made myself a cup of hot chocolate before grabbing a blanket and heading out to my back porch to enjoy the rain. Usually I would sit on my front porch because it has a swing, but I needed a change of scenery. I wrapped myself in the blanket before sitting down and putting my feet up on the foot rest in front of me.

The rain was still coming down hard and fast, but I loved the sound of it. There was something relaxing about it. I took a sip of my hot chocolate cursing myself that I forgot the marshmallows and whipped cream for the top of it. I leaned back in the chair and closed my eyes to relax after putting my cup down.

Denny and I had dinner plans tonight. I was supposed to cook and then we were going to stay at my house, but I guess with the way he stomped off that those plans are canceled now. I chuckled wondering what I was going to do with all that food I had bought for dinner tonight. There was no way I could eat it all by myself.

I had even bought a bottle of wine for both of us to wind down the night with, but now I guess I was drinking the whole bottle by myself. The rain started slowing letting up and soon the birds were back out chirping and singing as the sun came out to dry everything off. A faint rainbow came out of nowhere and it made me smile.

I got up and went back inside to start on dinner knowing that it would take a while to cook. I dumped the rest of my hot chocolate and grabbed a wine glass out the cabinet. I poured myself a hefty glass of wine and drank out half of it before I got started on chopping up vegetables to go with dinner.

After chopping up some vegetables and getting a pan warm, I threw them in and listened to them sizzle. Knowing they would be fine for a few minutes I grabbed my wine glass and went to the living room. I turned on the stereo and switched the music to something soft and relaxing so that I could enjoy the evening.

I hummed lightly to the music as I sat down in an arm chair and looked out the front window. Denny's house was dark. His truck was still in the driveway so I at least knew he was at home, unless he went out on foot. I stood back up and went back to the kitchen to make sure that I wouldn't burn dinner.

I added a few spices before mixing it in and taking the pan off the heat. I grabbed a plate front the cabinet and plated everything up before grabbing the bottle of wine and heading back to the living room. I sat down in the chair again and poured myself more wine before digging into my dinner.

I hummed softly as I took the first bite. Denny didn't know what he was missing at all. This was the best thing I had ever cooked. I took another huge gulp of wine and looked out the window again. Denny's front door opened and he stepped out. He had showered and was in fresh clothes.

I thought that he was heading towards my house but he stopped and opened his truck door before getting inside. I watched as he pulled out of his driveway and started heading towards town. I sighed and finished off my glass of wine as his truck disappeared down the road. I didn't know where he was going, but I already missed him.