Chapter 15

It had been a week since Denny had stormed out of my house. I had watched him come and go from his house without even a glance in my directions. I had also ran into him a couple of times in the grocery store. We saw each other, didn't say a word, and then he would head down a different aisle.

I was sitting on my porch scribbling away in my drawing pad. I was tired of reading. Working at the small library for a few years now I felt like I had read everything that was on the shelves and there was only so many movies you could rent or watch on the T.V. So, I had decided to pick up drawing again.

I was rusty to say the least, but it wasn't terrible. I had started with something simple, just some flowers that were right off my porch. It was easy to draw because it didn't move like a human, animal, or vehicle. My hands were covered in dark pencil led, but I didn't care. It's not like I had anyone to impress.

I had been out on the porch for a few hours now. Earlier that morning I had watched as Denny pulled out of his driveway and made his way towards town. I had no clue what he had been up to, if he had been working or just laying low. It had been pretty quiet in the neighborhood lately which was good.

I looked down at the drawing in my hands. I wasn't too impressed with it as I closed the book and left in laying on the banister of the porch. I stood up and walked back into the house. I went straight to the kitchen to wash my hands before putting a sandwich together for lunch. I grabbed a bottle of water and walked back out to the porch.

I sat back down in my porch swing and propped my feet up on the other side before digging into my sandwich. The breeze was blowing gently and the birds were chirping around me. It was one of those days that it surprisingly wasn't raining. The sun wasn't out. It was hidden behind a cloud, but at least it wasn't raining.

I finished my sandwich and grabbed the blanket that was over my lap pulling it up to my shoulders. I leaned my head against the back of the swing and closed my eyes. It was so peaceful that I could take a nap out here. Our neighborhood was pretty safe, that's one of the reasons I bought my house here.

~~

I woke up quickly when I felt something cold hit me. I sat straight up and almost forgot I was laying on the swing. I grabbed the back of it for leverage and looked around. I don't remember falling asleep, but I was fine with it. I looked around trying to get my bearings about me when I blinked a couple times and noticed Denny's truck was parked back in his driveway.

I stood up and folded the blanket before walking back inside as the rain started coming down. I sighed as I walked inside. It seemed like we couldn't go a day without it raining. I walked back inside and picked up some things around the living room as I went. I walked into the kitchen and started putting some dishes away when my mind started wandering.

"Alright, this is it Emily. She's almost here," the doctor said who was sitting at the foot of the bed waiting to catch our bundle of joy. I groaned as I laid back in to Denny who was sitting behind me. He smoothed my hair back off my face and kissed my temple. "You're doing so well," he whispered to me.

I felt hot and sweaty but I didn't want to be out of Denny's arms. I needed to hear him, feel him. "You just have a couple more pushes, Emily," the doctor said. Denny offered me his hands which I latched on too. I squeezed hard and pushed harder trying to get all of this over with. I just wanted it to be over.

"7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, relax and breathe, Emily," the doctor said as I sat back in to Denny. He laid a washclothe across my forehead. It was cool and felt nice. "I love you so so much, just one more, darling and this will be all over," he said softly while running the washclothe across my forehead and cheeks trying to cool me off.