Chapter 10

Taking Denny home, his house looked completely different than what it did when I left it early this morning. "The guys I work with must have mowed the grass for me," he whispered softly as we pulled into the driveway. I shut off the car and turned to face him. "Well that was nice of them," I said as I got out of the car.

I grabbed his bag full of dirty clothes from the back seat and walked around to the passenger side. Denny had already opened the door and was trying to get out, but he was struggling. "Let me help," I said offering him my arm. I grasped it gently and pulled himself out of my car. I already knew I needed to get a bigger vehicle for his tall self.

We walked slowly up the steps and I grabbed the keys out of his bag to unlock the door. As soon as we walked in I dropped his bag and helped him to the couch. "It looks like my house has been cleaned," he said as he plopped down on the couch and looked up at me. I shrugged my shoulders.

"It wasn't me. Maybe Mrs. Collins? Since the hospital gave her house keys to get you some clothes," I said. He sat back and got comfortable. "Maybe," he said. "I'm gonna get you some water," I said walking into the kitchen. I was greeted by a vase of flowers, a couple of balloons, and a card.

I instantly recognized Mrs. Collins shaky handwriting and smiled. I opened the card to see she said she hoped that Denny got better soon and that she left some meals in the fridge for him just to heat up in the oven or microwave. I laid the card on the counter and opened the fridge to grab Denny some water.

She wasn't kidding. She stocked Denny's fridge full of casseroles. I chuckled as I shut the door and walked back to the living room. His eyes were closed and he was leaning his head against the back of the couch.  "Here, D, we need to keep you hydrated," I said as I twisted the cap off the bottle.

Denny opened his eyes and sat up. He grabbed the bottle and took a giant drink before sitting it on the end table. "Do you need anything else?" I asked him and he shook his head. "Alright, I'm gonna head over to my house real quick and put away my groceries that I dropped in a hurry when I heard about you," I said.

Denny smiled lazily but nodded. "I'll be right here when you get back," he said. I smiled. "Okay, I'll make it quick and then I'll heat up one of the casseroles that Mrs. Collins left here for you for dinner," I said. Denny chuckled. "She's a nice older woman," he said. I nodded. "We all like her," I said while bending down to kiss his cheek.

"Okay, I'll be back," I said as I made my way out the door. I walked the short distance across the street to my home and opened the door. I was instantly greeted with a soured smell. I knew my cold groceries would have to be tossed. I made quick of the job while holding my breath to get everything cleaned up.

After putting away which groceries I could save, I took the rest to the trash can and threw them out before spraying some air freshner in my house and taking the trash to the curb for the garbage company to pick it up. I walked back inside and grabbed a backpack from the closet and headed upstairs to my bedroom.

I didn't want Denny staying by himself, but I figured he would want to stay in his own bed seeing as he had been sleeping in a hospital for the past two weeks. I grabbed a pair of pajamas, clothes for tomorrow, and some personal hygiend products before zipping up my backpack, putting it on, and walking down the stairs.

I locked the door behind me and walked down the porch steps before heading across the street to Denny's house. I didn't bother knocking I just walked right in. Denny wasn't in the living room where I had left him. I dropped my bag on the floor and walked in the kitchen. I preheated the oven and popped one of the casseroles in that Mrs. Collins had left.

Just as I put the casserole in the oven I heard a splash of water. Confused, I walked through the house to the bathroom. The door was closed slightly and I knocked on it. "Denny?" I called out not knowing what was going on. "You can come in," he said softly. I pushed open the door and was instantly greeted by a pile of clothing.