Chapter 12

I don't feel like this chapter needs a long author's note to introduce it!

Hi sorry I've been gone for so long. I hope you're still with me! I love you all!

--

Denny's breath evened out and I slowly peeled myself away from him. I obviously didn't wear down as easily as him. I got out of the bed and walked out of the room closing the door behind me so I didn't disturb him. I walked into the living room and plopped down on the couch. The book Denny had been continuously reading was sitting on the coffee table with a book mark in it.

I leaned forward and grabbed the book. I turned to the page that was book marked and sat back on the couch. I started reading the book and was instantly engrossed by the romantic comedy story line. It didn't seem like Denny's type of reading. He struck me more as a literature or poetry type of guy.

Before I knew it I had finished the book. I went to close it when something caught my eye written on the inside of the back cover of the book.

If you're reading this, you're still alive.
Love,
Mom

My eyebrows pulled together. Mom. The nurse at the hospital said that his parents were dead. This must have been a book that Denny has had for a while. Was his condition something that happened early on? Maybe at birth? I placed the book back on the coffee table and stood up to stretch.

I walked quietly back to the bedroom to find Denny still steadily sleeping. I grabbed a piece of paper from his bed side table and scribbled a quick note for him. I placed it on the table beside him before walking to the bathroom. I shrugged on some new clothes and pulled my hair up. I splashed some water on my face before grabbing my keys and heading out the door.

It didn't take me long to get to the town library where I worked. I sighed and got out of the car. I was not looking forward to have this conversation with my boss. I walked in and Barbara was sitting at her desk reading a book. "Hey Barbara," I said as I walked around her desk and sat beside her.

She closed her book and smiled at me. "Hey kid, it's your day off. What are you doing here?" I leaned forward in my chair and propped my arm on her desk. "You're not going to like me," I said softly. Her eyebrows pulled together instantly. "Oh no, you're not quitting too, are you?" she asked me.

My eyes became wide as I shook my head. "No no no, wait what? Too?! Who else quit?" I asked her. She ran her hands through her hair. "Jennifer, yesterday. She found a better job with full time hours. Something to actually support her family with," she said. I frowned. I really liked Jen. I was going to miss her.

"Well shit, then that makes my news worse then," I said. Barbara looked back over at me with panicked eyes. "I'm not quitting, but I do need some time off," I said. Barbara bit her lip. "More than two full days a week and the five half days you get?" she asked me and I instantly nodded my head.

"Though it's none of my business, may I ask why?" she asked me. This time I sighed and avoided eye contact. "Look, Emily. It's none of my business and you don't have to tell me, but I's like to think of me as more than a friend instead of a boss," she said as she grabbed some leave paperwork for me to fill out.

I started scribbling out all my information when I started my next sentence. "Do you remember Denny?" I asked her as I continued to write. I saw Barbara nod out of the corner of my eye. "Ah, yes, Mr. Prince Charming. You haven't talked about him a lot lately. Is everything going okay with him?" she asked.

I finished filling out the paperwork and slid it back to her. "Besides our first date, nothing has actually happened," I said. Barbara popped an eyebrow at me. "Oh?" she asked me curiously. I gave her a sad smile. I felt the tears starting to well up in my eye again but I cleared my throat and forced them back.