Chapter 3 - Rewards

The conclusion of Harriet's heat was bittersweet for the omega and her alpha. Hermione was bringing Albus back home later that day, but Severus intended to take full advantage of their private morning.

After they both woke, he scooped his small mate into his arms and carried her to the kitchen. After he sat Harriet down on the counter, he moved to the stove and began to prepare their breakfast.

Harriet watched him closely, dressed in his nightshirt which hung loosely off of one of her slender shoulders.

Severus was still wearing his sleep trousers but nothing else and Harriet's green eyes ghosted over the slender muscles of his pale chest, admiring the subtle definition on his arms while he cooked.

".......Love you." Harriet whispered.

It was a sweet, simple statement, spoken so gently that she wasn't even certain her husband could hear.

But from the way his dark eyes immediately snapped up to meet her green gaze, it became obvious that he had.

Severus tended the food in the skillet for a moment and then he turned away from the stove, walked over, and wedged himself between his wife's legs as she sat on the counter.

He placed a hand on Harriet's petite waist and she straightened, blushing from the intensity of his stare.

Severus ducked in to peck her lips and Harriet closed her eyes. His kiss was deep and hungry, just as she knew it would be. Tenderly, Harriet draped her arms over his shoulders and she happily kissed back.

If he had been thinking clearly and not drunk from days of having his omega screaming his name and begging him not to stop, Severus would have placed a protective charm on their food.

It nearly burned to a crisp by the time he was able to pry himself away from the sweet taste of his darling wife~.

—————————————————————

Severus expected Harriet to deconstruct her nest after Albus came home and they resumed their normal, civilized, family life.

His hopes rose when that failed to happen.

One day when Severus returned home from yet another day of teaching classes, he found Albus drawing a picture at the dining table and Harriet stirring a pot of soup that would serve as their dinner.

"Daddy!" Albus cried, looking up.

"Hello, Albus." Severus replied, frowning at his wife's uncharacteristic silence.

There was something in the air that Severus noticed right away, a sweet, delicate aroma, light and refreshing, almost comforting in a way......

Harriet looked up and caught her husband's gaze.

The softness in her green eyes caused his breath to hitch.

It was a silent affirmation and it struck Severus to his core.

Wishing was one thing, but truth was another.

"Mummy, when will the soup be ready?" Albus asked impatiently from the table.

"In just a moment, sweetheart." Harriet replied.

She managed to hide her smirk as Severus strode towards her with his black robes billowing around him, sliding over his leather shoes.

Albus's attention was completely on his drawing and Harriet had her back turned towards her son. That made it simple for Severus to stand behind his omega and place a silent kiss on the right side of her neck.