Chapter 6 - Severus, the Helpful Alpha

"My love, are you certain that you want to do this now?" Severus asked Harriet one morning, while she bustled around their bedroom brushing her red hair while he sat on their bed.

Severus's belly was not as round but nearly as full and warm as Harriet's since he had just finished glutting himself on her milk moments earlier. The intimate action seemed to provide Harriet with a burst of energy but her alpha was fighting to stay awake, lulled into near listlessness by the rich, creamy breakfast his mate had given him.

Harriet's clothes for the day weren't on yet but her nightgown was off. Severus did little to hide the fact that his hungry, black eyes were drinking in the sight of her nude body. Harriet said nothing about it, but she did silently gloat to herself that her husband still found her so appealing.

"We have to go out for my appointment anyway." Harriet sniffed, placing a hand on her swollen belly as she laid her hairbrush down on her dressing table, "I mean, really, Severus, the nursery is still empty. Did you think I intended to let the baby sleep on the floor?"

"No." Severus replied quietly as his gaze flickered from Harriet's darkened nipples to the apex between her thighs, concealed partially by the curve of her abdomen, "I wasn't expecting you to wait this long though....."

"We have three more weeks." Harriet said with a sigh as she started to struggle into her robes.

Rising from his seat on the bed, Severus deftly helped his darling into her clothes while he stood behind her.

Harriet stilled and let Severus fasten her loose robes.

She looked up at Severus.

Severus glanced down at her.

Gently, alpha and omega shared a loving kiss as Severus pressed his hands lovingly on Harriet's full womb.

—————————————————————

Harriet was in her final month of pregnancy. Severus considered their outing as the last time they would be leaving the house until the baby arrived.

For the afternoon, the Snapes sent Albus to play with his friend, Scorpius Malfoy.

Doctors visits and shopping trips were dull to children. Besides, Severus couldn't tolerate having to keep a close eye on both his expecting omega and their little son.

Due to her advanced stage of pregnancy, Harriet's flowing robes did little more than frame her bump at that point, which earned the couple congratulatory smiles from other omegas and dark glares from jealous alphas as they walked through Diagon Alley.

Severus was watching everything and everyone, including Harriet. He knew that if anything started to happen, since he was at his mate's side, he would know it as soon as she did.

Somehow, that fact didn't put Severus any more at ease.

As he held one of Harriet's hands, he placed his other on her lower back as he helped his dear omega waddle into the midwife's office once they reached their destination.

"Goodness!" The receptionist at the lobby's desk exclaimed cheerfully when she saw how far along Harriet looked, "Poor dear! Have you two come for a birthing suite?"

"No." Severus replied flatly, "We're here for a check up, that's all."

The receptionist smiled knowingly at Harriet as the omega smiled and blew out an exhausted breath with a nod.

"Have a seat, then." The receptionist smiled at the couple, "She'll be with you in a moment."

As Severus let Harriet use him for support while they walked over to the nearby chairs and sat down, the receptionist beamed.