Chapter 18 - Surely you remember?

Thank you for reading! Please let me know if you enjoy! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Updates every Saturday!
—————————————————————

Dumbledore blinked.

Severus narrowed his eyes.

Both men stared at the doorway as a short and meek house elf stepped into view.

"Mr. Severus Snape, sir?" The house elf asked quietly as it gazed upon Severus.

The elf's face was grayish-pink and wrinkled, around its body hung the usual sack that others of its species wore, and it had the signature wide ears and huge, bulging eyes of its kind.

"Professor Severus Snape." Severus corrected the elf in his low, commanding tone.

He didn't speak harshly, but the house elf flinched as if it were disappointed in itself for addressing him by the wrong title.

Severus actually wasn't offended.

The house elves in Hogwarts' kitchens, even though they worked at the school, had little knowledge of the institution's faculty.

What was a professor or a headmaster to a house elf?

"Do you......know this elf, Severus?" Dumbledore asked quizzically as he glanced over at the potions professor.

"No, headmaster, I do not." Severus replied as the elf waited nervously to speak again.

"I.....I beg your pardon, Professor Severus Snape. I'm Darby, sir. Darby's been in the Hogwarts' kitchens all of her life, sir, but I've seen Professor Severus Snape's ad in the Daily Prophet! If you can find it in the kindness of your heart, sir," The house elf, Darby, asked as she glanced between Severus and Dumbledore, "Darby would like to leave Hogwarts and work for Professor Severus Snape instead."

Severus narrowed his eyes in suspicion.

House elves were usually very loyal to the ones they served.

Hogwarts did not mistreat even the lowest members of its staff in any way.

So why then would a random elf from the kitchens seek to leave her position?

"Are you unhappy at Hogwarts, Darby?" Dumbledore asked with sympathy permeating his voice.

"Oh, no, sir! Darby is very happy at Hogwarts!.....But.....But Darby wants very badly to work for Professor Severus Snape!" The house elf exclaimed.

"Why?" Severus asked with a distrustful scowl.

"The ad in the Daily Prophet said that Professor Severus Snape and Harriet Potter are married!" Darby exclaimed, "Is this true, Professor Severus Snape?"

"It is." Severus replied, unable to hide the smug smirk that crossed his lips, "And what of it?"

"Darby has heard stories of Harriet Potter all her life!" Darby explained, "It would be an honor to serve Harriet Potter and her family. An honor that Darby is not worthy of but one that her father would be proud of if he knew she had obtained it!"

"Your father?" Severus asked curiously.

Darby wrung her hands as she spoke, "Darby's father used to serve a cruel family, sir, until Harriet Potter set him free. House elves do not have much, sir, not even in the way of names, but Darby's father was known to others as Dobby."

Neither Severus nor Dumbledore knew a lot about Harry's interactions and long standing friendship with Dobby, but they exchanged another contemplative glance with each other as Darby pleaded with them both, "Please, sirs!"