Chapter 21 - Improving the Nest

Thank you for reading! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Please let me know if you enjoy! Updates every Saturday!
—————————————————————

Dumbledore officially retired three weeks after the party that was held in his honor.

He timed his exit to coincide with the conclusion of the academic year's first semester.

Severus felt a strange mixture of excitement and bitter sadness when the elderly wizard bid him goodbye and apparated from his office to the far away place he had chosen to live out the rest of his twilight years.

The castle was already mostly vacant, with only a handful of students remaining for the winter holidays and several staff members lingering behind so as to be available for those who had stayed.

Once Dumbledore had gone, Severus sighed to himself as he stood alone in the Headmaster's office.......in his new office.

That still didn't seem possible.

Was he, Severus Snape, really the new headmaster?

For just a moment, Severus walked across the stone floor and dared to sit down silently at the headmaster's desk.

Everything was exactly as Dumbledore had left it, he hadn't bothered to clean much out besides removing his personal belongings.

Severus looked out over the room from his seat and folded his hands on the desktop with a firm frown.

He had always held an uncanny ability to control his classroom and the students within, seeing to their safety, and the progression of their learning.

Severus vowed silently to himself that as headmaster of Hogwarts, he would look after the students and staff with the same special care that he gave to his own family.

—————————————————————

Although Severus still had to make appearances at Hogwarts and see to several matters throughout those few weeks, he was thrilled to be able to spend a large portion of the winter holidays at home with Harriet, Albus, Lily, and Darby.

Harriet's belly seemed to grow by the day and as his mate took to her nest more often, Severus was thoroughly pleased that Darby remained so helpful around the house.

Having the chores taken care of meant that Harriet could focus on her children and Severus could concentrate on all of them.

One evening, down in the living room, Severus finished reviewing a few documents that proposed new additions to Hogwarts' curriculums in certain subjects.

He looked around the dark house and frowned when he realized that Darby had already finished her work for the night and gone to bed.

Had it already gotten that late?

Quietly, with a small frown gracing his lips, Severus glided out of the living room and up the stairs. Stealthily, he walked all the way down to the end of the hallway until he reached the room that he shared with Harriet.

As soon as he opened the door, what he saw made his black eyes soften and his heart flutter with joy.

At the front of the room, the fireplace crackled, spreading its soothing sound and gentle glow throughout the room.

Lying there in his mate's nest was his little family, asleep.

Harriet was nestled on a soft, cushiony mound of pillows with Lily gently cradled against her belly, sleeping with her cheek against her two unborn siblings. Albus was tucked against Harriet's side with his head on his mother's shoulder.