Rosie

‘Rosie…’ a voice echoed down the corridor, and I knew something was up. Liv was using her stern voice, and she only used that on special occasions. ‘Rosie, what are these?’

I followed the sound of her voice into the bathroom, where my heart literally stopped. There, on the edge of her pointer finger and a disgusted look on her face, was a pair of Harry’s boxers. The idiot must have left them the last time he was round and took a shower.

          ‘This is why you called me in here? To show me a pair of Andy’s boxers?’ I asked, playing the fool. The longer I could deny, the longer I had to think of something decent to say as an excuse.

          ‘You know damn well these aren’t Andy’s,’ she replied, her dark eyes penetrating my own, ‘whose are these Rosemary?’

Oh, she was pissed. She never used my full name unless she was angry. Really angry.

          ‘How should I know?’

          ‘Well,’ she advanced slowly towards me, her other hand on her hip, ‘shall I tell you who’s I think these boxers belong to?’

She couldn’t know. There is no way she could possibly-

          ‘Mr Harry Styles.’ HOW COULD SHE KNOW?

          ‘What?’ I squeaked, and mentally scolded myself. Keep it together, Jones, you can bluff your way out of this! The rule was no one would know, sadly best friends were included. ‘Why on earth would you think that?’

          ‘Because five days ago, when we last saw said pop star before the band travelled to America, he happened to be wearing the exact same style of underwear. Due to this new trend of boys wearing their trousers below their arse-crack, I had a good old view of them!’ she was basically shouting now, very close to my face.

I had never been more scared of my housemate and best friend than I was right then.

          ‘I-’

          ‘You want to think about your answer again, Rosie? Because I am not stupid! Perhaps I was ignoring the signs before, or not everything clicked until I found these, but I know, now at least, that there is something going on between you two! How else do you explain why the both of you were so keen to organise the meal together? Why you keep sneaking off or I keep hearing the front door slamming late at night?’ she was on a rant now, and I knew better than to interrupt her whilst she let off steam. ‘Just tell me the truth, Rosie!’ she finished, huffing for breath at the pace of her rant.

          ‘Liv, I…I’m sorry.’ It was all I could think to say. ‘I never wanted to lie to you, or to any of my friends. But that was the agreement Harry and I had, right back when it started-’

          ‘-and when did it start?’ she interrupted me, still sounding pissed, but speaking at normal volume. Which was a plus I guess.

          ‘About two months ago,’ I said timidly, and watched as Liv closed her eyes and sucked in her breath.

          ‘You have been keeping this secret from me for two months!’ she sounded hurt, and I wanted to give her a hug but I was scared she would push me away.

‘Liv please-’ I could feel tears starting to form in my eyes, and I was pretty sure Olivia noticed them too, because her voice softened and she stopped looking so angry.

‘I’m not angry that you are with him, but I wish you would have told me. How did he ask you out? Are you official?’ she said, her voice switching to an excited schoolgirl.