XXXI

Gaul pulled out a key on a necklace that was hidden under her collar.

"This one key will allow you to prevent this, and any future conflict that may occur within your country and the Kingdom of England." Gaul brandished it out as if it were a sword, or the answer to all her problems. Which, in a way, it sort of was.

"I really don't see how this could help." Gaul placed the key and chain into her hands and folded them up tightly. She smiled.

"Okay, this is going to be slightly confusing, so bear with me, chère. (dear) So, in 1066, I'm sure you've heard of the Battle of Hastings that took place, correct?" Gaul looked expectantly at France, as if she expected France to know everything about the history of Normandy ever.

"...No." Hey, it wasn't France's fault that those history lessons were boring! Gaul groaned. "Long story short, kings fighting over England, person from Norway dies, big battle, person from England dies, person from Normandy wins, yeah.

"So, they signed a treaty telling that for the next thousand years or so, conflict shouldn't be a thing between the two. Obviously, everyone forgets about the treaty, but I didn't. I never have. I never will." Gaul stared at France, waiting from something about her story, but the only response that France could scrape together was "That's nice and all, but how does the key tie in with that?"

"Well, they stored it in a box, locked it up for whatever reason, and hid it in a different country. Because our old leaders were very sensible."

"So you want me to find this box?" Gaul held her up with a hand signaling stop as she was about to leave the room.

"Chère. The box is within the hands of Spain."

After Gaul dropped such a mood dropper, she immediately brightened up. "Would you like to stay here for the night? I'm sure we can find a room for you."

France's already red half of her face blushed a little harder in embarrassment. She didn't exactly appreciate leaning on other people, but it wasn't exactly that she had enough money to pay for a hotel.

"If... if that's no trouble to you," Gaul smiled.

Spain gave up after five seconds. London was just so confusing, so much different from the relaxed avenues of her home town. Everything was so quick and high-paced, and London was so big. There were so many people, all running around, some of them pedaling shawls, bread, salt, and shoes. Everyone was in a hurry to do something, and Spain almost got ran over by someone running to get somewhere.

Screw that map. Screw the everything. Spain was going home.

Screw going home. Boats cost too much, she figured out.

What about Portugal? Portugal was in the trusted hands of their aunt, and Spain wasn't worrying about that.

No.

She couldn't let her brother down. He asked-no, begged, for her to do this. He was young. Innocent. Aside from their parent's death of course.

No.

She couldn't let her mother down. Her mother was probably staring down at her from heaven, waiting for her to take the opportunity. Adventure was a thing that Spain longed for. (Sorry if the mention of the Catholic heaven offends you, Spain was a primarily Catholic country in the late 1700's, please don't take this to heart.)

No.

Her father as well. He always wanted an alliance between the two, and Spain was sure that since she had that map, one of the only things on a lot of European leader's heads was who were their friends and who were their enemies. The Kingdom of Spain having more friends couldn't be a terrible idea.

No.

She couldn't let herself down. She's come all this way, across a bay, across a channel. She had navigated well enough so far, who says she couldn't go further? To give up now is to drown, to almost reach the daylight then fall back to the rough seas of the world, then water calming as though nothing changed.

No.

She would not give up.

Even if her life was on the line.

I think Spain and France are going to have a lovely...

Reunion...