Remembering Mufasa

The Pridelands were darkening. The sun had set and already you could make out a couple of stars on the big blue sky. The animals had all turned in for the night, the giraffes stood up and slept by the trees, the antelopes and zebras were all lying in the grass and the lions were all asleep inside the Pride Rock den. All except for the royal family. Simba and Nala, the King and Queen of the Pridelands, were trying as hard as they could to get their daughter, Kiara, to fall asleep. "Kiara, sweetheart, you have to go to bed now," Nala sighed as she tried closing her eyes and resting her head on her paws. "But mom, I'm not tired," she giggled. "That doesn't matter. It's late and everyone else needs their sleep," her father tried explaining. Kiara turned and bounded over to the King. "Daddy, I promise I'll be quiet. Please! I just want to stake away," she pleaded. Simba tried pushing her down softly with one paw. Kiara fell on her back and batted her dad's paws in the air. Giggling and playing, she continued doing so for hours while Simba tried closing his eyes and getting some sleep. It was no use. "Nala, honey?" he started as he nudged his mate slightly. "Hmm? Yeah, I'm awake, Simba. What is it?" she asked as she yawned. "I don't..*oof*..our little bundle of joy is going to bed anytime soon," he said grunting as Kiara rammed into him. He looked over at her sternly, which resulted in her frowning and sitting down. "Sorry daddy," she said. "No kidding," Nala said smiling, trying to stifle the laugh that was growing inside her. "I was thinking we could go look at the stars, all together," he said. "That's a great idea, it might even make her sleepy," she answered. "Kiara, honey, let's go," Simba said with a monotone voice as he stood up. Nala followed and nudged Kiara from behind to get her to follow her father. "Mom? Where is dad taking me?" she asked. "We're all going to go on a little trip. Now come on," she encouraged.

The family walked in silence, Simba and Nala walking side by side up front and Kiara being at the back trailing behind her parents. She wondered what they were up to and why they were taking her out in the middle of the night. She thought about the possibility of them being mad at her for not sleeping, but it really wasn't her fault. All of a sudden her parents stopped in their tracks and sat down looking up at the sky, waiting for her. She quickly trotted up beside her parents. "Mom? Dad?" she asked curiously. "Why are we here?" she continued. "Well we figured that since you can't sleep, we'd tell you a little about the Great Kings of the Past," they said together. Simba lay down, followed by Nala who wrapped her arms around his and leaned up against his mane. Simba smiled at Kiara, who smiled back and climbed on top of her mother, then her father and sat on top of his head. "Look up at the stars Kiara. What do you see?" Simba asked his daughter. "Umm, well the stars. Shiny, white sparkles," she said unsure at what her father was asking. "Well yes and no. The great kings of the past are up there, looking down at us. They help and guide us throughout our time as King and Queen," he explained. "Your grandfather is up there, your great-grandfather as well as your great-great-grandfather," he continued. "WOWW," she exclaimed. Then she frowned. "What is it sweetheart?" Nala asked, looking up at her. "Well, does that mean that daddy will also be up there?" she asked. "Yes Kiara, but that will not be for a long time. So don't you worry. I will always be here for you, today and always," he said as he nuzzled Kiara.