Soft Spot

It was a new day in the Pridelands and it was already in full swing. Big fluffy white clouds were drifting across the beautiful blue sky and the sun was shining right above them. A little lion was making his way further up the rock he called home, Pride Rock. It was a majestic place with a ledge that stuck out from the main formation where the young Prince was presented to the rest of the Pridelands. The rock formation had many little nooks, dens and caves. There was the main den where the pride slept but there were multiple little caves scattered around the rock and that, depending on which one you used, were generally secluded from the rest of the pride members. On this very day, Simba was looking for his mother who had retired to one of these caves, it being too hot to lie in the area dedicated to lounging. As he saw his mother he greeted her with a head rub and a nuzzle. "Where have you been?" he asked her. "The lionesses are taking a rest day from hunting and I decided to take a break up here," Sarabi replied. "But why all the way up here?" Simba asked. "It's much cooler and further away from little cubs such as yourself," she teased. The cub laughed and rolled onto his back batting his paw at his mother's whiskers. "Tell me what it is you want then," the Queen said. Simba looked up at her with a confused look. "What do you mean?" he asked. "You know perfectly well what I mean," she replied as she licked him. "Fineee. I was wondering if I could go out and play in the Pridelands today. I'll be careful and I'll take Nala with me so I won't be alone," Simba said. Sarabi sighed and looked down at her son, thinking about what he was asking. "Oh alright you can go," she started saying as Simba jumped up. "BUT I don't want you straying too far. I'll have Zazu come check up on you two every couple of hours and you have to be back BEFORE sundown, we don't want you being in another accident" she warned. "No, no I understand mom," Simba said as he hugged his mother and smiled up at her cheekily. She returned the smile with a glint in her eyes. The young cub then stood up and ran down the steps to find Nala. Sarabi chuckled, she did perhaps have a bit of a soft spot for her son.