Swimming Lessons

It was a hot day in the Pridelands and most animals were taking a break from the heat by either resting in shady areas or swimming, at least the ones that were able. "Mom, where are we going?" Simba asked as the pair made their way down Priderock. "I am taking you to the waterhole today," she replied. The young cub made a face and stopped in his tracks. "The waterhole?" he questioned. To the Prince a place like the waterhole was very boring and on a hot day like this he didn't want to do something that he didn't like doing. "Yes Simba, how else will I teach you to swim?" she said, smiling down at him. Upon hearing that Simba started jumping up and down. He had been asking his parents if they would teach him how to swim soon, but they had kept saying to wait until he was a little older. Now the day had finally arrived and he was very excited.

Once they reached the waterhole Sarabi made sure that there weren't any other animals around that they would disturb before stepping into the water. She gave Simba a reassuring glance over her shoulder and beckoned him to follow her. Simba tentatively stepped into the cool water. Although he was quite a confident cub, Simba was a bit hesitant when it came to water and swimming as it was something he had been told to stay clear of from quite a young age. As the cub made his way towards his mother, he felt the water rise up to his stomach and before he knew it he almost couldn't reach the bottom anymore. Sarabi walked a bit further out, wanting Simba to swim towards her rather than walk. "Mom, stop walking further out," Simba said panting, now swimming and unable to touch the bottom with his paws. "It's the only way you'll learn so just keep swimming towards me," she explained. The Prince finally reached his mother and quickly clambered onto her back. "You're getting the hang of it now," Sarabi said encouragingly. Simba beamed at his mother and promptly started swimming again to show off a bit. The swimming lessons continued for a couple of more hours before Sarabi called it a day and thought it best to start heading back. Afterall, the worst heat of the day was over and the sun would soon be setting. "Can we come back tomorrow and swim some more?" Simba begged his mother as she forced him out of the water. She nodded, glad that her son had found the same love for swimming that she had.