Responsible Uncles

It was a day like any other. The sun was out, fluffy clouds were drifting across the sky and there was a light breeze making the savanna a little more bearable. The King was getting ready to leave for his patrol, but not before he'd dropped off his daughter. "Ok now do you remember what we talked about?" Simba asked. Kiara was only half listening as she jumped from rock to rock. "Kiara? Kiara? Are you listening?" he asked again. The Princess stopped jumping. "What." she said. "I asked if you remember what we had talked about earlier. And get down from there," he said as he motioned for her to jump down. "Now, what did we talk about," he asked, hoping it would be the last. Kiara sighed. "To stay with Timon and Pumba until you get back," she said in a monotone voice. Simba nodded. "Ok now run along and I'll see you in a couple hours," he said, giving her a quick lick.

Not far from Priderock was a little area where Timon and Pumba lived. It had a small waterhole, lots of grubs and there were countless spots for relaxing. The Princess called out for her uncles as she reached their home. "Uncle Timon! Uncle Pumba!" she called. "Hey Kiara, what are you doing here?" Pumba asked. The young cub giggled, knowing that her Uncle Pumba wasn't the best at remembering. Luckily Timon was there to remind him of things every now and then. "Pumba, Pumba, we told Simba we'd babysit the little rascal," he said. "Heyy! First of all, I don't need babysitting, I'm like 5 months old, and second I'm not a rascal," Kiara said. "Sure and I'm not a meerkat," Timon said chuckling. "But Timon, you are a meerkat," Pumba commented. Timon sighed. "Pumba. It's a figure of speech," he explained. Pumba just mouthed and 'oh' and moved on. "Well Kiara, what do you want to do today?" he asked. "Umm, let's do some swimming!" she suggested. The three of them walked over to the nearby waterhole and jumped right in. Both Timon and Pumba were great swimmers and Kiara was getting the hang of it. They played in the water for hours until Timon and Pumba were too tired and hungry to continue. Luckily there was a perfect place for grubs, which they quickly found, and started eating. "Ew gross," Kiara exclaimed. "More for us," Timon and Pumba said happily.

Unfortunately all the swimming and eating resulted in the pair of them becoming tired and sleepy. The heat definitely did not help either and soon both Timon and Pumba were fast asleep. Kiara, being the mischievous cub that she was, noticed and took advantage of this and quickly crept away from her sleeping uncles.

***

"TIMON! PUMBA! GUYS! WAKE UP!" Simba shouted. Timon woke up with a start, confused as to who was shouting at him and why. "Huh, what, what's wrong?" he said, yawning. "What's wrong? You two were supposed to be responsible uncles!" Simba exclaimed. "Oh, oh no, wait where's Kiara," Timon realized all of a sudden. "Well thanks to you two, we don't know," the King said, frustrated. "Oh we are so sorry Simba, we didn't realize and she must have snuck out while we were asleep," Pumba and Timon explained, fumbling over their words. Simba sighed. "Don't worry. I know you guys didn't purposefully lose her," he said understandingly. All of a sudden Kiara appeared. "Hey dad!" she said happily. "What are you guys doing?" she asked. "We were just discussing where you had run off to," he replied. "I wasn't gone for a long time dad, I just went down to the waterhole to get a drink," the Princess explained. Simba raised an eyebrow, he didn't seem fully convinced but had to take her word for it. "Alright well let's go home now. Timon and Pumba you guys are also coming for dinner," he added. The four of them walked back to Pride Rock with Kiara, Pumba and Timon trailing a little behind Simba. "You didn't go down to the waterhole did you," Timon asked. Kiara smiled at her uncle. "Nope!" she admitted. "Well thanks kid for saving us like that," he said. "Next time, we'll be more responsible," Pumba promised. Kiara laughed, knowing that with Timon and Pumba you could never really know.