❯ 𝚘𝚗𝚎

𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙉

𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙉

i had my hand gripped on the handle of my suitcase, the other pulling down the rim of my hat. the late night wind blew past my coat and it brushed lightly on the exposed skin of my cheek, i looked up at the building in front of me, so glamorous that it reaks of ill wealth.

an amused smirk made it's way on my lips, what a gamble i'm about to play.

i walked up the stairs, pass the suited guards wearing shades and armed with big guns, the doors opened up for me and i was facing a giant stairway. a chandelier as big as the ceiling hung above me, passages of ivory pillars all around the giant circular room, like a maze one might enter. i looked up at the floor above the staircase where a man in his late 50's had cleared his throat.

he was built big and round, bald, and his mustache was almost to a gray. i glanced at his side to where a younger man stood and stared, glaring at me with a despised expression. his son maybe? though they did not look alike.

both went down the stairs, i was surprised they did not have bodyguards surrounding them, like how mafias would usually have, especially that they're meeting a detective like me for the first time. unlike their expensive suits, i had dressed in my regular working clothes; slacks, vest, dress shirt, and my favorite khaki coat that matches my brown fedora. this might be an offense to the mafia boss who expected a presentation, unluckily for him, i do not address guests nor hosts as he does. i sighed even, i just want to get this over with.

let me cut to the chase, why did they send you?
the mafia boss asked, i knew of his question and for then it made me smile. my response seemed to anger the young man beside him even more so i bowed my head in sorry.
i have to ask the same thing.
i half meant it, half joked.

i was sent here for my next mission, there were rumors of a politician running illegal terms and organization behind the government's knowledge. such man was now running for the next president and sir shin, the mafia don in front of me, had been a victim of the politician's gruesome plan of power. he reported most of his cargos and connections had been sabotaged and he wanted to put a stop to it before it completely destroys his mafia business. he had ties with the politician in the past, worked for him even, in secret as a slave of justice i was sent here to help collect evidence to sue the politician before the upcoming elections.

the said mafia could only let out a sigh of defeat.
i am expectant of you, i did not want to ally with the law, but if this is the last resort, then so be it. for now i ask you to rest, mr. lee here will lead you to your room, we shall start at dawn. don't do anything that'll cost your life, i am a man without a heart, to friend or foe.
he said before he turned his back on me, walking up the stairs again while the young man was left with me.

our gazes locked for a moment, by instinct i studied him, memorizing all lines and details of his face. he was handsome, may i call, even pretty, you won't expect such innocent face in a violent environment but his eyes gave him away. i had chills looking at them, not of fear, but of coldness, those were the coldest shade of brown i've ever witnessed and it left me in a sudden daze. his expression tightened, i didn't know it was even possible by the way he had already been glaring at me.

there was one more thing that stood out the most from him, it was these ruby earrings he wore. they were quite bigger than the earrings i'd usually see, the size of marble cut in half. the red bold, the color of fresh blood, and it slightly glistened even by looking at it from this distance. it was lined with gold, studded with microdiamonds. it complimented the complexion of his skin and brought out the color of his eyes.

he shrugged at me and i followed him to where he wanted to lead me, pass the vintage hallways and armed men who cowered under his presence. he must be someone important to be highly respected, much more he was to the don's aid.
don't let your guard down, this place is filled with blood hungry beasts and ruled by a man with a black heart.
he said with his voice still sharp, i was not surprised, most mafia members i've encountered want only nothing but dominance and violence.
i assure you i'll be alright mr. lee.
i smiled but he only gave me a small grunt as a reply.

we started to walk slowly through a hallway filled with bedroom doors, he was too silent, this sign was always never good in my past experiences.
i do not wish to work with you.
he said.
a man who kills to exist, and a man who had never killed in his life.
he continued.

ironic isn't it?
he looked back and smiled at me, as if he found it amusing, but his intentions were wicked.
i smiled back at him, as wicked as he had.
it is.

━━━━━━━ • ♤ • ━━━━━━━
𝙙𝙖𝙩𝙚 𝙥𝙪𝙗𝙡𝙞𝙨𝙝𝙚𝙙 : 𝙾𝟼𝙾𝟼𝟸𝟸
i honestly don't know what
kind of dynamic i want these
two to have (╯︵╰,)