6. Friend Or Foe?

Louie had perceived two things about this mysterious duck, who was just sitting in the dark, drinking and eating at his expense. 1. He was European, and spoke with what Louie had to guess was a slight Italian accent. 2. He knew a lot about Louie, obvious from the fact that he was in his hotel room, at the same time he'd arrived.

The last person he'd met who was European and knew a lot about him, tried to kill him by strapping him to an anchor and tossing him the ocean. But Louie knew that the person in front of him, could make or break his future.

"Does this mean I'm in?" - Louie questioned, earning a shake of the head from the mysterious duck. - "Does that I mean I failed?"

The figure chuckled. - "You're neither in or have failed to get in."

"Then why are you here?"

"By the guilds rules, that's all I'm authorised to tell you."

"Then let me repeat my previous question." - The young thief remarked, annoyed at the fact that this random guy who'd broken into his hotel room was being intentionally vague. - "Why are you here?"

"I'm here to tell you, that what happened at that gallery earlier tonight, can never happen again."

"You know what happened at the gallery?" 

"Of course we know what happened in the gallery, we've been monitoring you."

That statement sent a shiver up Louie's spine, that was the third thing this stranger had in common with Matthew Kovax, both had 'monitored' him, which was a nice way of staying stalked. - "Will what happened earlier, affect my chances of getting in?"

"No." - Came the curt response.

"Then why does it matter?"

"Because," - He filled a glass with the wine, Louie had thrown at him, a couple minutes ago. - "It reflects badly on me."

Louie crossed his arms over his chest. - "And, how does it reflect badly on you?"

"Do you do anything but ask questions?" - He joked, but Louie had had enough, he narrowed his eyes at the older duck. - "Okay, it reflects badly on me, because you're my- You're my candidate."

"What do you mean by candidate?"

"There you go again, asking questions." - He took a sip of his wine. - "Have you ever heard the saying 'Curiosity killed the cat'?"

"But satisfaction brought it back." - Louie finished the quote. - "And I'll be a lot more satisfied once I get the answers to my questions."

The figure paused. - "Fine, this isn't an initiation into the guild, like I think you're thinking. It's a competition."

"Competition?"

"Yeah," - The figure took another drink of his wine. - "Each acting member of the guild, picks a candidate. We all monitor the chosen candidates and whoever we think is the most worthy by the end of the selection process, earns a spot at the table."

"And you chose me." - Louie muttered, putting the pieces together. - "Why did you choose me?"

"Come on kid, you're smart, skilled, brave... You remind me of a young me."

"Except more good-looking I bet."

"Now don't get cocky," - The figure chuckled. - "Cockiness will get you killed in this line of work."

He remembered Goldie telling him exactly the same thing, when he began his career with her.

"Now I'm batting for you kid, but you've got to help me out in return. No more destroying valuable treasures."

"I won't."

"Good." - The figure finished the rest of his drink, and placed the glass down on the table beside him. As he stood up from his chair and moved for the door, Louie got his first clear look at the man. He was the same type of duck as Louie, and just as tall, he also was about the same age as Uncle Donald and his Mom. 

His head-feathers were neat, styled in what looked like a businessman haircut. He wore a grey suit-vest over a white dress shirt and grey tie, decorated with a silver tie-pin. All of his clothing was smooth, not a crinkle in sight. If there was a magazine called 'New York Lawyer Monthly' He'd be the cover.

"Kid," - He stated, straightening his tie in the large mirror beside the front-door. - "Let me remind you, that this is a completion. There are other thieves out there fighting for the chance to join us."

'Other thieves.' - Louie thought. Suddenly everything clicked in his head. - "Maria and Jellyfish, they're candidates as well aren't they?"

"Yeah they're are. And because of your history with Maria, you just lost out on a big score."

"You know about us?"

"When I said, we been monitoring you, I wasn't joking. We at the guild don't just welcome any random pickpocket from off the streets. We do background checks."

"So you know that I'm-"

"Yep. We know you're a McDuck."

"Does it matter?"

The man shook his head. - "Not in the slightest. Some of our members are from famous families."

"Really?" - Louie asked, seemingly unconvinced.

"Yeah, our little club is made up of both rich kids and street urchins."

"Huh."

"Well I better be off," - He said, picking up the dark trenchcoat, Louie hadn't noticed on the mahogany coatrack, and slipped it over his shoulders. - "Lest one of my cohorts catches on to my scheme, and I get punished for breaking the Guild's bylaws."

"Wait." - Louie called out, stopping the duck from opening the door and disappearing.

"What is it Kid?"

"You know everything about me, but I don't know anything about you."

He sighed. - "Kid I've broken a lot of rules, comin' here tonight. I can't really tell you much more than I've already said."

"Please." - Louie took a step towards the man. - "At least tell me your name."

The man stuck his hand out. - "You can call me Cyrus."

Louie took the older thief's hand. - "Well it's nice to meet you Cyrus. I hope we'll see each other again."

"Kid." - Cyrus smiled. - "From what I've seen so far, we'll definitely see each other again."

 Once their handshake ended, the once-nameless thief turned and left through the door, leaving Louie in his enormous hotel room with an almost ecstatic feeling in his chest.

Needless to say, he didn't sleep a wink that night.

Thanks for reading Ch.6 of 'Legacy' The story is starting to come together now, anyway, I hope you've enjoyed and also hope you comment, vote, follow-me and read Ch.7 -MM