31. The Start of Something Great.

---------------

Italy, 1999...

   The sun was beginning to set on the town of Cittá di collina when the adventurers stumbled back into town, tired after the long adventure and the following hike back down the mountain. 

Hungry and in need of a rest, the group took a seat outside an empty bistro and had their first food in nearly thirty-six hours that didn't come out of a dehydrated pouch, all at the expense of Scrooge, who was also too exhausted to complain at the outrageous prices the restaurant was selling at.

Once their plates were clean and bellies full, Goldie made her exit. Promising to best Scrooge in their game of wits the next time their paths crossed, she disappeared into the hustle and bustle of the town's tourists.

Yawning, Scrooge removed his old fashioned bifocals and cleaned them with a cloth in his pocket. - "Well kids, I think it's about time we make our leave as well."

Across the table, Leo gave the Scot a smile. - "It was nice to meet you Mr. McDuck."

The older duck stood up and reached across the table and the two shook hands. - "It was nice to meet ya too, Lad. If you ever find yourself in America and in need of a job, come find me, McDuck Industries will always have need of men like you."

"I might just take you up on that offer, one day."

Donald, who was sitting to the left of Leo, was the next to bid him goodbye. Clapping him on the back, the teen gave him a laid-back 'take it easy', earning a chuckle from him.

"Same to you." - He replied, nodding.

Leo looked over to Della who was on his right, who'd seemingly become very interested in the red-and-white checkered table cloth.

Noticing his sister's unusual shyness, Donald figured that he should give her and their new Italian friend. He turned to his Uncle. - "C'mon Uncle Scrooge, we should go make sure that the car hasn't frozen over, we don't want to pay the rental company extra do we?"

Scrooge eyes widened at that, he had already spent much more than he typically did on an admittedly tasty, but horrifically overpriced dinner. He didn't his wallet getting any lighter than it already had. - "Bless me bagpipes, those vultures will rob us blind if we don't get it back to the lot in time!" 

With that, he and Donald departed, not without the younger of the two Ducks giving his twin a thumbs-up.

Now alone with Leo, Della was still anxious at saying goodbye to him, even though she had only known him for less than twenty-four hours there was a connection between them she couldn't really explain.

Her anxiety only grew after she realised that the two were sitting by themselves at a table outside a bistro in a little town in Italy, which could be misconstrued in a romantic sense.

"Della," - Her eyes drifted up and her heart began beating faster when she caught site of his small smile, dimpled cheeks and emerald eyes. - "I have to say meeting you was something that I never expected, yet something I will never forget."

The girl face grew hotter.

She'd faced down powerful spellcasters and creatures that were believed to be both mythical and extinct and she'd never cowered, yet a single comment from this boy was able to give her butterflies and leave her tongue-tied. It was maddening.

"You know you'll have to be careful, if any of Prince's goons survived, you could be in a lot of trouble."

He shrugged off the warning. - "I'll survive, I always do."