20. Home Sweet Home.

Chapter 20! About Halfway done.

---------------

   The classic yellow New York City cab pulled up in front of the Saviloq Apartment Complex in the South-West of Queens and Louie exited.

Since his last battle with the Circus of Six and probably his last conversation he would ever have with his brothers, Louie had paid for a taxi to take him to the nearest airport and then bought a first-class ticket to Laguadia airport in New York and then for another taxi from the airport to right outside his building. 

It took him nine hours, total. All of which he had to do without the comfort of his phone. As unfortunately it had been broken during the debacle.

The teenager handed the driver a crumpled wad of bills. - "Keep the change." - He stated, before shuffling up to the front door which opened automatically. Entering inside, Louie was greeted by the doorman and the many kids who were sprawled out on the two couches in the foyer. - "Hey." - He replied as he crossed the room and called the elevator.

Bracing himself using one of the handrails, Louie tuned out the music coming from the speakers and counted out the fifteen seconds it took for the elevator to travel from the lobby to the penthouse, in his head.

With a ding, the elevator reached the top floor and the door opened.

Pulling his door keys from one of the jackets inner pockets. Louie silently cheered that they weren't broken like his phone. As he still hadn't had a chance to replace his lockpick set.

Entering inside, Louie knocked the door closed and began sorting through the mail that the Doorman had brought up. Tossing the junk and leaving the bills on the hallway table. Louie made his way into his bedroom.

Resolving to take a shower and purge all the grime that had gathered on him over the last few days, Louie began to remove his jacket. Only stopping when he felt the pair of Aviators in his pocket.

Pulling them free, the thief took a minute to admire the pair of silver rimmed sunglasses that had once belong to his uncle, before folding them up and leaving them on his dresser.

-----

   After a long and refreshing shower, Louie had dried off and changed into a grey t-shirt before slipping his jacket back on and grabbing the set of engraved lockpicks Goldie had given him for his sixteenth birthday.

The steel utensils were kept in a small brown leather pouch that was adorned with a fancy golden 'G' on the front. Louie had always rationalised that they had too much sentimental value for him to bring on a job. So instead, he had kept them on a shelf in his bedroom and used a set of replaceable ones instead.

They would have to do until he ordered some new ones.

As he opened the door to his room, intending to head on to Amelia's workshop and get back to work, he saw it wouldn't be that simple due to the well-dressed man lounging in his kitchen. Drinking his alcohol.

"You know if you like that whiskey so much, I'll buy you a bottle." - Louie remarked, as he dropped into one of his dining table chairs.

Cyrus smiled. - "I'm more of a wine guy actually, but it seems you have none in stock." - Finishing his glass, he left it in the sink. - "Where have you been Kid? I've been calling nonstop for the last few days.

"I was busy." - He grunted. Not missing the worry evident in the man's eyes.

"With what?"

"Does it matter? I'm back now, I can get back to work." - He shot back. - "Anyway, I thought you said the guild is always watching. So, you should know everything that's happened, already."