32. Education and Ego's.

--------------

KNOCK! KNOCK! KNOCK!

Louie awoke startled, on top of the covers of his hotel room's bed, still dressed in the same clothing he was wearing the previous night.

"Come on kid, you better not still be asleep." - Cyrus shouted from outside his room, politely smiling and stepping out of the way as a hotel maid pushed a cart full of fresh towels and robes down the hall.

Louie sat up and got out of bed, taking a second to stretch before heading towards the door.

"What time is it?" - The teenager inquired, once the door was opened.

Cyrus entered the spacious hotel room. - "What, can't read analogue?" - He joked, pointing at the clock on the wall. It was seven, fifteen-Louie had only fallen asleep at about two and he had been up for about two and a half-days before hand. - "Have you even showered yet?"

"No." - He irritably responded. - "Because it is seven in the morning... Why are you even waking me up so early anyway?"

"Training." - Cyrus answered coolly.

Louie laughed. - "Correct me if I'm wrong, but we were both trained by the same person. I think training at this point is redundant."

"I'll admit kid, you're a great thief, definitely one of the better candidates we've had in the past few years, but you've got no experience in being a guild member and neither does Goldie. So, from here on out you better listen up. Understand?"

"Alright. Alright." - The teenager relented, running his hands through his sweaty feathers. - "Can you at least let me shower."

Cyrus took another look at the wall-clock. - "You got a half hour to make yourself presentable, we have breakfast plans." - He explained, taking his leave from the hotel room as Louie trudged into the bathroom and switched the shower on the coldest temperature setting.

Forty minutes later, the two were walking down the streets of York, heading towards a small café that Cyrus had picked out, Louie was wearing his jacket-having gotten it back from Cyrus after their discussion last night-under a loose grey hoodie he wore to keep him warm in the cold English weather.

Cyrus walked a little in front of him, a cashmere overcoat on top of his expensive viridian green Italian-style suit, making sure to keep from away from the puddle on the pavement as he walked.

He stopped suddenly and Louie looked about expectedly.

"This doesn't look like a café."

"No, that's two streets over." - Cyrus replied, peering into a shadowy alley. - " A quick lesson before we eat, you bring your ring?"

Louie held his hand up, showing the golden signet on his right ring-finger.

"Good work, kid. Always keep the ring on you, it'll prove to be one of the most useful tools in your arsenal." - The elder thief instructed, heading into the alley, with Louie following.

Louie scoffed. - "How useful? It's a ring."

Cyrus stopped again, this time when the two were halfway down the alley. - "I'll prove it to you, put your ring in your pocket for a moment." - Confused, Louie complied. - "Good, now follow me."

The alley led into a dead end and apart from a few recently emptied wheelie-bins, covered in spray-paint, it was baron.

"You see anything of note?" - Cyrus questioned as Louie scanned the alley.

"Nope." - The teenager admitted, slowly spinning as he looked about. - "Nothing special."

"Now put the ring on."