Chapter 17.

King Charles walks a few feet away from me. Then he turns around. His eyes fixed on something. I look in that direction. I see Peter next to the doors. "What are you doing here," I ask. 

"Am I not allowed to come in and check on you after you were left alone with Outsiders," he points out. I shrug my shoulders. "I guess, but they're not dangerous." 

"That's what you think," he says, his voice more stern. I raise an eyebrow to him. 

"I've known them since middle school, and you just met them. I think I should know," I snap. We look at each other. His eyes narrow at my comment.  King Charles clears his throat. All the tension in the room is gone. "Can I ask what have you decided?" he asks me. 

I straighten my back. "I have decided to let them go your majesty. I told them to return to the real world, and to never mention this place." I look at him to see his reaction. He just nods.

"Alright then, let it be done," he says to my relief. As he walks away, Peter has something to say. "What?" King Charles look back at him. "Excuse me your majesty, but how can you let them go like that?"

"It was Megan's decision and Megan's alone," he says. "Now excuse me. I must let the knights know."

He walks out of the room. Shutting the door loudly behind him. I look at Peter. He is not happy. "You let them live!" he exclaims. 

"They don't deserve to die. They didn't know about this place. It was an accident." I say, defending them. 

"Was it an accident when that bastard hurt you," he points out. I stay silent. "That you cried your eyes out. That you spent weeks being depressed and locked in your room!" 

"I can't kill them for that!" I yell. 

"So you are just going to let them walk around on your back? Letting them hurt you whenever they want?" he asks. His face is inches from mine. I can feel him exhaling from his nose. 

"I can't kill them just because one of them broke up with me." I tell him. Peter shakes his head. 

"I can't believe how stubborn you are. You still defend them even though they made you look weak," he says. My cheek feel hot. I'm boiled up with anger. 

"Why do you think they are so dangerous? Why do you think every Outsider is dangerous? Why do you want to kill every Outsider we find?" I point out.  Sometimes people come in by accident and King Charles orders an execution. Peter always agree with him.

"Did you want me dead too?When you first saw me, did you want the King to kill me? Did you not trust me?" I add. 

"That wasn't it," he says 

"Then what did you think?" I ask. Before I realize it, Peter's lips is against mine. I would push him off, but he has my hands in his. His lips are soft, but something is wrong. It doesn't seem right. 

He finally pulls apart. My body is stiff. "That's what I thought," he says. Before I could say anything, he is out the door. I sit their alone. A million thoughts go through my mind. When I thought everything would go back to normal. Life doesn't give me a break. 

****************

I sit on bed, holding the purple bear in my hand. I don't know what time is it. I've spend all this time looking at this non-living thing. It's amazing how things fall apart in just about a month. How much have changed. 

I lay down on my bed. Gazing at the ceiling. I follow the patterns of the cracks on the walls. Then there is a knock on the door that interrupts my gaze. I slowly get up and walk to the door. I hesitate to open it, but I do it anyways.