Chapter 21.

My heart leaps. I swiftly turn around. I don't know whether to be happy to see him or angry for startling me. I go with none of the above. "Um.... thank you?" I stutter. 

A huge smile appears on Matthew's face. He lets out a small laugh. He slowly walks towards me. He sits inches away from me, his feet dangling over the wall like mine. We sit in silence. Even though seconds go by, it feels like hours. 

Great. Awkward silence. 

"I thought you were sleeping," I say, breaking the silence. 

He looks at me. My muscles tense. "I was about to, but I saw you open the door and leave. So I just followed you," he explains. 

I nod my head. "Oh," I simply say. "How much did you hear?" I'm hoping he didn't hear me sing all of it. That is a very hard song to do. The artist hits certain notes that I just can't. But I still sing it for some reason. 

Matthew smiles. "The whole thing."

"Damn," I mumble. I didn't mean for Matthew to hear me. He just laughs.

"Why is that a bad thing," he asks, amused.

I shake my head. "I don't like people to hear me sing," I admit. I never wanted people to hear me. What if I sound awful? What if I sound like a dying goat? Everytime I sing, I make sure no one is around. If my parents walk in, I stop cold.

Laughing, Matthew says,"Why? You're actually good."

I look at him with wide eyes. "Are you serious?" I ask in disbelief.

"Yeah. I'm surprise I didn't hear you before?"

I let out a laugh. "I don't believe you," I say, shaking my head.

Matthew raises an eyebrow at me. He crosses his arms over his chest. "Oh really?" he smirks. "Sing."

My smile fades. "What?"

"Sing right now. And I'll tell you if you are good or not," he says. I start to object but he is serious. He shakes his head. "I'm not going to listen until I hear you sing."

"But-"

"I'm not listening," he sings.

I sigh in defeat. I down at my hands. They are shaking like crazy. I put them in between my thighs to steady them. I look at the ground and begin to sing.

I never thought I would think about love. I never thought that you would come my way.  One touch and your in control. Now I'm not a good girl no more.

You got me doing crazy things. Like stealing my friends car.   You got me doing crazy things. Like sneaking out at midnight.

And when I wake up next to you Now I know that I'm all yours.

I brace my self for the worst. I don't even dare to look at him. My heart is pounding against my chest. I feel his hand on my shoulder. "You need to sing more often."

A smile escapes me. I look at him. His smile is wide across his face. I stare into his eyes and I know he is looking at mine. "Can I ask you something?" he whispers.