Chapter 4; Careful

The skies were still dark and a few hours had passed since they arrived at the small house.

There wasn't much space in that place and it seemed secretive. All of them were gathered in the small living room.

Luna, by now had fallen asleep. She wasn't scared of the duo since she had already sensed their abilities and they were honestly, not much.

Ashton and Wesley on the other hand were worried to an extend no one would understand. They were sitting on the carpeted floor in silence as Ashton hugged his knees.

"I'm sorry." He apologized for the nth time, making Wesley roll his eyes.

"Shut up. You know I don't regret helping you." He said again but Ashton just lowered his head in defeat. His life was such a big mess.

"You'll be in trouble because of me." He mumbled, looking at Wesley with apologetic eyes. Everything suddenly turned silent. None of them spoke a word before Wesley decided to break the silence.

"Listen." He kept a hand on his terrified best friend's shoulder.
"If I get in trouble, just remember that it was my choice. You have nothing to do with it."

Ashton did not know what to do. His anxiety was eating him alive. Even if he got away, would he even be able to live with this guilt?

Wesley noticed his uneasiness and swinged an arm across his shoulder, pulling him closer.
"It's not your fault. I understand." The few words of comfort made Ashton shed the few tears he was trying to avoid.

He had an amazing friend. One who'd always understand him. But the entire situation was bugging his senses as he thought about what his little mistake had done to their lives.

Wesley was a year older than him. Despite this, they were always in the same class since Ashton's intelligence got him promoted to a higher grade sometime when he was a child. Being in the same class, they had spent most of their time together. Never had Ashton thought that because of him, his best friend, his only support, the best part of his life would be in trouble.

"Alright don't think too much right now. Any idea what we're gonna do with this Luna girl?" Wesley asked, notably tensed.

"I don't know, but we need to do something quick. She's scary." Ashton muttered as Wesley passed him a quick look, asking for explanation.

"Before you came, she fought this bunch of bulky men. She even had a gun. She said she stole it from some illegal shop to fight those people but I'm never believing that." He sighed as he glared at the sleeping girl.

Wesley nodded in understanding as he stared at the girl too. She's pretty. He thought to himself while planning what to do next.

"Ashton, we have to move out of here right now." Wesley spoke, looking back and forth between his wristwatch and Ashton.

"Do you think the police will be coming here right now?" Ashton quickly got up from his spot, already seeming anxious.

"Yeah. I think it's about time. Cause this is my uncle's old place and I come here a lot." Wesley noticed the sudden nervousness on Ashton's face and spoke again,

"Hey, don't worry too much. Just take that bag I brought and start the engine of the car outside. I'll bring that sus sleeping creature." Both quickly moved to do their work.

Ashton ran out of the house with a bag that had the basic necessities and wiping his last tear, sat on the driver's seat with a blank face.

Wesley walked over to the sleeping girl. Placing his hands behind her neck and at the back of her knees, he carefully lifted her up and ran out in the cold. The sudden breeze made them shiver as he quickly reached the car and placed her comfortably in the backseat of the car.