Chapter 26; Promise

"Wesley, listen to me!" Luna watched as Wesley banged at the main door of the police station. The officers and other workers were obviously bugged by the noise and disruption but when the profoundly respected Miss. Luna asked them to stay in and do their respective works, they compiled.

"Wesley, stop!" The angered boy continued banging, as if provoking the officers. Everyone knew that Ashton was under the police custody for the time being which was possibly the reason this place had many visitors lately. 

It had been ten hours since he was arrested. Luna remembered that moment way too well.  

She could see the younger's hands getting bruised with every passing second. 

"Wesley, your hand is bleeding, this won't help!" She voiced out forcefully, gathering all his attention as he turned away to look at her.

"Will you help me then? Sorry, doesn't really seem like it." He yelled, disappointment never leaving his tone, glaring at Luna with teary vengeful eyes.

Luna sighed, now facing the ground. It was so frustrating for her to handle this side of Wesley cause she totally understood where he was coming from but it was almost impossible to explain anything to him.

"Look, I am very sorry for hurting both of you. I totally regret my every decision and I really wanna talk to you about this, so please. Please listen to me."

"Do you really think it's gonna change anything?" He yelled,
"You did the one thing I hoped you wouldn't. Why Luna!" And that's how he broke down, leaving a helpless Luna with teary eyes.

Wesley leaned down against a wall, falling onto the cold tiled floor. Luna quietly sat next to the sobbing boy, trying her very best to not seem too weak.

"Wes...I'm a detective. It's my job." She sighed, exhausted tears falling down her cheeks. She was, in fact, almost tired of explaining it. She never thought being a detective could land her in such an awful situation. She didn't know what to do.

Wesley didn't know what to say and waited for her to say something further.

"I was an on duty detective that night. When I saw Ashton for the first time, I knew who he was and what he had done. I just wanted to gather information in the proofs from you guys and...put you behind bars. But back then, I didn't know you guys. I kept thinking that Ashton was at fault but...but now I know. He did nothing wrong." She couldn't help but shed more tears at the mention of the boy.

"So you knew he was innocent?" He asked with genuine curiosity.

"He told that to me himself. I knew after spending time with you guys that you were nowhere close to criminals. I knew it. I was just looking for the right proof...I.." Finding herself at a loss of words, she buried her head in her hands. It was so frustrating to explain her every move when she knew she won't be forgiven.

"What else do you need as a proof? He told that to you himself! If you say this in the court, they would believe you cause you're a detective!" He said, trying his very best to make his voice clear.

"No they won't!" She yelled back,
"The law is equal before all. I can't just voice out a story told to me by the supposed murderer. I believe him. But no one else will until we have the proof!"

"I don't understand....Why didn't you tell about this sooner...and..and why did you call the forces on him?" He finally looked at her tear stained face.

"Wes, he called the cops himself. He wanted to surrender...I was thinking of a way to get you two out of this situation but he didn't listen...he was hurt. So he did that." She sighed, feeling the pain of that moment all over.