Chapter 24; Giving Up

The entire day, Ashton didn't talk to anyone. He didn't know what he wished to say. He didn't know what he intended by not talking. He simply couldn't bring himself to look at them. Luna in particular.

He couldn't believe what he had heard. There was no way he misheard it. He had always known that he couldn't trust Luna. She was suspicious from the very beginning. Why did he even let his feelings get the best of him?

It was all so stupid. He was stupid.

He thought of how genuine the girl seemed around him and Wesley. So true to herself. So helpful. To finally know that she was a detective all the way, every nice memory with her or even her pretty face was starting to creep him out.

It was midnight when he locked himself in the bathroom. His best friend and Luna were in their deep slumber, failing to notice.

It took a toll of time on him to come to a finite conclusion. He still couldn't. He hadn't told about this to her yet. Or even Wesley. His existence was bothering him at this point.

All he could do was stare at his emotionless reflection on the mirror. His own face looked like a huge mistake to him. The blue eyes, the ginger hair, they reminded him of his dad. A person he hated so much.

That is where it all began anyway, right?

He could see the flaws. Everywhere all over his face. Everything was so wrong since the very beginning. However, whenever he looked at himself, an image of Luna flashed in his head.

It was as if he was going through all the pain all over again. He felt hurt, heartbroken, betrayed.

Helpless tears couldn't help but slip down his cheeks. Utter frustration ran through his body when he forced open the faucet as the water ran out. Splashing water on his face again and again, he could feel himself getting lightheaded.

What was he supposed to do?

~

A few days passed and Ashton had been observing Luna.

She seemed just fine. Like a normal person who didn't have anything hidden. A normal person who was not secretly undercover. A normal person who genuinely liked him.

Was it even real? Everything she made him feel, the signs that he received from her, were they just an illusion?

Seeing Wesley become closer to her was another bother to him. It irked him to the point that he didn't want Wesley around her anymore.

The two were not oblivious to the younger's sudden change in behaviour. They knew something was up but as suggested by Wesley, Luna didn't want to trouble him about this.

Ashton didn't know if he wanted to even be around her for another second. The attachment he had developed towards her was dragging him further away after the incident from a few days earlier.

On one thought it seemed like fate.
After all, he wasn't a great person and couldn't elope forever. He would be caught one day. Of course he deserved this. He was meant to suffer all his life so this didn't seem like a bad resolve.

But...was it necessary? Was he supposed to feel this? His trust was lost. He couldn't feel any emotion. He felt void of life, laughter, love.

This wasn't right.

"Luna, we need to talk." He walked into the room, interrupting something that looked like a conversation between Luna and Wesley.