10. Cleansing of Conscience

"The stench of blood still lingers

"The stench of blood still lingers."

An inauspicious silence engulfed the room except the bated breaths of its occupants and the mild rustling of heavy curtains whenever a strong gust of wind blew inside. My eyes were transfixed on the spot where a few moments ago Dviti was withering against the hold of guards. The pool of blood laid fresh there, painting the floor in its ominous colours as a reminder of events transpired. The faint golden light of earthen lamps wavered on the faces present, highlighting fear present on them. The flowery fragrance deluged in the room was now accompanied with a rusty smell of blood which made me nauseous to some extent.

"Scrub it off." I whispered while clinging to Sugdha's frame. Staring at the floor marred in shades of red, I inhaled the repugnant odor lingering in the air. "I said scrub it off!" I raised my voice on seeing them in a dawn state.

The anger in my voice was unmistakable and so was the tremor of guilt within every syllable. Scurrying from their post the maids started cleaning the mess but Sugdha stayed there by my side.

"Rajkumari, should I get a seat for you?" Sugdha whispered softly. I shook my head in denial and just kept staring at the spot. With a splash of water the blood washed away, leaving droplets of water splattered around. A trail of blood carrying water reached my feet, I stayed there letting the blood now turned lather water soak them. It was like a reminder, reminder of the choices forced on me. 'Or choices you made? You knew this didn't you? You bear the burden of her doom, don't you?' A voice inside my head claimed.

'Of course not!' Another voice in my head chided. 'How could that be you? Every choice is forced on you. You are a mere observer.'

The reply of that voice calmed the dread sprouting underneath the stoic countenance, I currently donned. Regardless of all the mental debates the previous voice wasn't satiated, as a matter of fact even my conscience was skeptical of these false words of sweetness.

"Rajkumari, your clothes! They are wet, atleast change them." Sugdha fussed on seeing the soaked hem of my lehenga.

"Rather get a bath ready for me." I answered softly.

"Rajkumari..." She trailed.

"A bath Sugdha." I commanded her without skipping a beat. On realizing that I was not going to back off she nodded and departed from the room with few maids along her. I stood there, my back straight and eyes following every move of the servants. The floor looked clean but red blotches were still there whenever I looked at that place.

"The floor is not clean! Scrub thoroughly." I ordered the maid who was wiping the floor with a damp cloth. At first she looked confused but on seeing my glare she started scrubbing off the place with renewed vigour.

"Rajkumari, your bath is ready." Jasvi informed me with a bowed head and hands tightly clutched. Her shoulders had a slight tremor but she kept her stance straight and waited for me to take steps ahead.